Photos

Photographer's Note

A foggy and damp day on Dartmoor, exploring the ruins that were once the working community for Foggintor Quarry.
The name is most appropriate as it does spend quite a lot of time enshrouded in fog and mist.

Foggintor was one of three great quarries on Dartmoor, the other two being Haytor and Merrivale.

During the early 1840s Foggintor Quarry supplied the granite that was used to build famous London landmarks such as Nelson's Column and London Bridge.
Locally it was used for a vast number of buildings including Dartmoor Prison and the nearby village of Princetown.

I will post a picture of the quarry next time.

But here we have the ruins of the community that was built when the quarry was producing tons and tons of granite every year.

It was noted that in the 1840s at least 300 men were employed there. Among the workers there were about 20 blacksmiths, carpenters, turners, stone masons, labourers, horsemen and their horses.

The numerous buildings on site included, a foundry, a smithy, stables, office and tool store house, a powder store, a manager's house, a cottage and at a much later date a chapel.
By the late 1840s, a series of workers cottages had also been built.
In 1885 it was estimated that around 100 people lived in and around Foggintor.

Now this is all that remains of the village, lots of stones lying around, broken walls and just a hint of a building here and there.

Two more views in the w/s.

Thanks for looking.

pajaran, PaulVDV, holmertz, Fis2, ikeharel, Royaldevon, macjake, COSTANTINO has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Jean Dwyer (jean113) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 1628 W: 0 N: 5411] (20847)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2020-09-09
  • Photo Version: Original Version, Workshop
  • Date Submitted: 2020-09-28 10:37
Viewed: 0
Points: 26
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Jean Dwyer (jean113) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 1628 W: 0 N: 5411] (20847)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH