Photographer's Note

The Brisbane River has several small tributaries such as Oxley Creek, Bulimba Creek and this one, Breakfast Creek. So named because "John Oxley and Allan Cunningham met members of an aboriginal clan at the mouth of the creek in 1824. After they had breakfast at the site minor conflict with the aboriginals arose after one of them grabbed Oxley's hat. Oxley named the waterway in remembrance of the incident.

An important Aboriginal camping ground occupied the Breakfast Creek / Hamilton area until it was broken up by police raids in the 1860s. The camp was one of the major sources from which local Aboriginal people supplied the Moreton Bay colony with fish. It was also where Aboriginal leader Dalaipi spoke his famous 'Indictments' which were published in the Moreton Bay Courier in 1858. One of the white first settlers on the creek was Patrick Leslie who in 1845 built the still-standing Newstead House. Brisbane's Cantonese community, who had established businesses in Fortitude Valley and built the Temple of the Holy Triad in 1886, settled in the flats around Breakfast Creek and Eagle Farm. During dry times in the early colony of Moreton Bay, when water from the Roma Street reservoir was depleted, supplies were carted from Breakfast Creek. Various streets close to Breakfast Creek were affected by Brisbane floods in 1893, 1974 and in 2011."

Seen here from a small wooden platform are mangrove trees, and in the distance there is a small white ibis foraging in the mud for crabs. This area is tidal. In the bg is a part of a major freeway network.

pajaran, pierrefonds, jhm, adramad, PiotrF, COSTANTINO, mcmtanyel has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 730
Points: 40
  • None
Additional Photos by Chris Jules (ChrisJ) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17238 W: 1065 N: 38045] (172378)
View More Pictures