Photos

Photographer's Note

Church of the Madonna della Cona - Montaglioni - Preci (PG)

The Church of the Madonna della Cona, also called Santa Maria in Via, is two hundred steps from the village of Montaglioni. It is located at the crossroads for Roccanolfi, Montaglioni and Poggio di Croce.
Already named after Santa Maria de Monte Lunae (ie Montaglioni), the church, with typically Renaissance features, was built in 1568 on the foundations of a pre-existing church (the date is repeated on the walled portal of the right side and on the left pillar of the facade). The building was restored in the following years the earthquake of 1703 with the proceeds of the Monte Frumentario which it administered.
It is a fairly large structure, thirty paces long, twenty wide and twelve high; it has a brick roof, three doors and a single bell weighing eighty pounds. Annexed there is also a small sacristy with few and poor furnishings. The oldest part appears to be the rear one completely built in stone, unlike the rest of the complex in which squared stone blocks were used for its construction. On the side walls we can see two arched doors that have been closed and also on the façade the re-arrangement is immediately evident and today it presents itself with a wooden portal flanked by two small windows protected by railing.
Inside, in a single hall, the floor is in stone, it is covered by a truss from the 16th century, an era in which the noble stone and carved altar with two side doors was also rebuilt. He framed a small fragment of a polyptych called "Madonna della Cona", which was once considered miraculous. It is a table in which the Virgin is portrayed holding the Child seated on a pillow while nursing him gently and humanly holding him covered with a towel. She wears a brown lozenge robe, tightened at the sides by a belt and ending with a square neckline with a small border also shaped like diamonds. Her face is roundish, adorned with a small triangular diadem, with a calm and restful expression mixed with the harshness of the forms typical of Florentine gothicism. It is framed by a golden halo with the inscription in Gothic characters: AVE MARIA. Today it is totally repainted, so it is difficult to judge stylistically, but it lets us see in the faces the typical features of Tuscan paintings from the beginning of the 15th century. Only the round line of the face of the Madonna remains. The absence of the mantle in your head and the hair that therefore falls on your shoulders is absolutely unusual. It could be the work of a Florentine artist of the early fifteenth century and of the same workshop from which the Preci Triptych came out.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17691 W: 130 N: 37157] (202616)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2015-01-31
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposure: 30 seconds
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2019-06-09 9:27
Viewed: 452
Points: 48
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17691 W: 130 N: 37157] (202616)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH