Photographer's Note

This is a view of the Castillo de San Marcos taken from the nice open park that surrounds it. Though its construction started in 1672 the Castillo de San Marcos’ history embodies the struggle and contest of the entire colonial era as well as the foundations of American identity. The Spanish founded St. Augustine in 1565, but it would be another hundred years before they began building the Castillo de San Marcos we see today. The earlier wooden
forts did not last long. Some of them burned down, some were washed away by storms,
and some just rotted from neglect. The Spanish Crown sent money to St. Augustine for the building of a stone fortress.
Skilled workmen and masons were recruited in Cuba. These men gathered a force of
workers from Cuban convicts as well as nearby Timucua, Guale, and Apalachee Indians to
build the fort. In 1672 the work began.
Instead of wood, this new fort was built of coquina, a kind of stone that had been
found near the coast on Anastasia Island. This limestone formed over thousands of years
from the shells of the tiny coquina clam cemented together through time and nature into a
solid, but soft, stone.

Photo Information
Viewed: 2210
Points: 66
  • None
Additional Photos by Asa Jernigan (asajernigan) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 3592 W: 88 N: 5553] (21427)
View More Pictures