Photos

Photographer's Note

The Fortezza - the pride of Rethymnon
In 1571 Ulutz Ali devastated the city wall of Rethymnon, Crete during one of his raids. Thus it became absolutely vital to fortify the hill of Palaiokastro (Old Castle) and to relocate the entire city there. Many problems had to be solved before the Fortezza was finally built during the period between 1573 and 1578. However, the city was never transferred to the safe area within the walls.
Two years after the destruction, on September 1573, the Rector Alvise Lando laid the foundation stone of the castle, which was to be built according to the drafts of Sforza Palavicini. After a large number of modifications, the fortress was finally completed in 1590. The general draft of the fortress provided new forms of defense, which had become necessary, since gunpowder had come into use: The polygonal ground plan included bastions whilst the walls were wider and inclined.
In reality however, due to the morphology of the land only three bastions could be built to the South and to the East, while the north wall formed three peaks. In general the draft of the fortification wall was not the best possible, since it limited defensive abilities.
The rocky surface, which impeded an appropriate construction, the lack of a moat, the limited free space around the fortress resulting from the inhabitants' refusal to demolish their houses, were some of the basic factors, which limited successful defensive action.
Contrary to that the infrastructure of the interior space was probably well planned: Public buildings were situated at a distance from the wall, the ammunition storerooms were housed at the safe north side, and a square formed the centre of the fortress.
The interior of the fortress accommodated the following basic buildings: the storeroom of the artillery, where canons and weapons were kept, the residence of the Councilors, where one of the city's two Venetian councilors lived, the residence of the Rector, which represented a luxurious, magnificent building in the central square of the fortress.
Nowadays, the fortress hosts various exhibitions and the Erofili Theatre where concerts and theatrical plays are hosted during the Rethymnon Renaissance Festival.


© 2011 - All rights reserved. The photos taken by photographer Athanasios Benisis are registered and copyrighted. Use in any form (web, paper publication, public exposure, etc.) is strictly forbidden without the written permission of the photographer. To contact with photographer please use his intro page Hellas on TrekEarth.

Crispilandia, siamesa, ManuMay, raszid62, dip, Graal, Selmik has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 3103
Points: 20
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Athanasios Benisis (Hellas) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1201 W: 175 N: 1349] (7105)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH