Photographer's Note

Augustinian convent (1530s) Malinalco is an important religious place since the pre-Hispanic times has retained the tradition until the Conquest. In 1533 Servants of the Dulce Nombre de Jesús founded the house of Malinalco. In (1540) following a council meting that took place in San Agustin de México it was agreed that the monastery be built in Malinalco due to its pre- Hispanic importance, which made it a suitable location for the building of an important regional house. That is how in (1543) the Convent of the Divino Salvador de Malinalco was founded and from where the evangelization of the entire region began. The convent inculded a large atrium and a rectangular temple to the rear of which where gardens and the monastery vegetable garden. An open chapel can be seen on the façade of the convent, which is sometimes use as a “porteria”. Malinalco hieroglyphics and the shield of the Augustinian order can be found in the cornice of the chapel as mute witnesses to the meeting of two cultures. The façade of the chapel must have been completely covered in fresco paintings. They are the biggest fresco paintings in the whole Latin America.[

niphredil76 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1547
Points: 4
  • None
Additional Photos by Oscar Marquez (osmarq) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 55 W: 44 N: 131] (921)
View More Pictures