Photographer's Note

The Redpath Library was bestowed upon McGill in 1893 due to the beneficence of Peter Redpath, owner of Redpath Sugar and one of Montreal's leading citizens at that time, and his wife Grace Wood. The couple also donated the Redpath Museum, located just northeast of the library. This was a very timely gift since, prior to this building, all the University's acquisitions had resided in Molson Hall, the west wing of the Arts Building. The University had begun to rapidly expand in the 1890's and all the rooms in Arts were needed as lecture spaces. The architect of this Richardsonian Romanesque building was Sir Andrew Taylor, born in 1825, who hailed from Edinburgh and had been educated at the Royal Academy in London. The massive oak beams that supported the upper floors were capped at either end by fearsome dragon heads both inside and outside the building.

Flavia, pierrefonds, cunejo200, Dragonheart, JanP, iGirl has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1563
Points: 22
Additional Photos by Silke Force (Silke) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 579 W: 66 N: 795] (3027)
View More Pictures