Photos

Photographer's Note

This monumental temple dates from the 16th century as the Church of the Colegio Máximo de la Compañía de Jesús. Construction started in 1567 by the architect Bartolomé Bustamante and was completed by Juan Gómez de Mora in 1620.

The layout of the temple is of a Latin cross, with a dome over the transept, a large presbytery and communicating side chapels, following the model of the Gesú church in Rome, like its façade, built by Gaspar Ordóñez under the direction of Francisco de Mora and the already named Juan Gomez de Mora. This temple as a symbol of the Catholic Counter-Reformation was a model for other Jesuit churches such as Madrid and Toledo.

After the expulsion of the Jesuits, all the altarpieces and bars in the side chapels of the temple and much of the artistic heritage were lost, although the tabernacle and an interesting custody located on the main altar, a 17th century silver work, are still preserved. and the architecture of the magnificent main altarpiece, the work of the Baptist Brother. His paintings by Angelo Nardi and his sculptures carved by Manuel Pereira and Bernabé de Contreras were destroyed in the unfortunate events preceding the Civil War. The current paintings belong to Father Manuel Palero.

At the end of the 17th century, the chapel of the Holy Forms was added to the temple. It was erected to commemorate a miracle that occurred in 1597. It has a central floor plan, closed by a half-orange dome, which was decorated in 1698 by the painter José Vicente de Ribera with a series of allegorical figures and Baroque decorative elements.

After the expulsion of the Jesuits from Spain, the building was completely remodeled according to the direction of Ventura Rodriguez, adding the stone staircase to the entrance to be the new university headquarters.

Already in the 19th century, like other convent buildings in Alcalá, the collegiate building became a cavalry barracks until the 80s of the last century, which was rehabilitated again to house the Faculty of Law founded in 1991. And in whose side wall of The names of the illustrious students who passed through their classrooms from the 16th century until the closing of the University can be read.

-----------------------------------------------

Este monumental templo data del siglo XVI como Iglesia del Colegio Máximo de la Compañía de Jesús. Empezado a construir en 1567 por el arquitecto Bartolomé Bustamante y fue terminado Juan Gómez de Mora en 1620.

La disposición del templo es de cruz latina, con cúpula sobre el crucero, amplio presbiterio y capillas laterales comunicadas entre sí, siguiendo el modelo de la iglesia del Gesú de Roma, al igual que su fachada, construida por Gaspar Ordóñez bajo la dirección de Francisco de Mora y el ya nombrado Juan Gomez de Mora. Este templo como símbolo de la Contrarreforma Católica fue modelo para otras iglesias jesuítas como la de Madrid y la de Toledo.

Después de la expulsión de los jesuitas se perdieron todos los retablos y rejas de las capillas laterales del templo y gran parte del patrimonio artístico, aunque aún se conservan el tabernáculo y una interesante custodia situada en el altar mayor, obra de platería del siglo XVII, y la arquitectura del magnífico retablo mayor, obra del Hermano Bautista. Sus pinturas realizadas por Angelo Nardi y sus esculturas talladas por Manuel Pereira y Bernabé de Contreras fueron destruidas en los lamentables sucesos precedentes a la Guerra Civil. Los cuadros actuales pertenecen al Padre Manuel Palero.

A finales del siglo XVII se le añadió al templo la capilla de las Santas Formas. Se levantó para conmemorar un milagro acaecido en 1597, es de planta central, cerrada por una cúpula medio naranja, que fue decorada en 1698 por el pintor José Vicente de Ribera con una serie de figuras alegóricas y elementos decorativos barrocos.

Tras la expulsión de los jesuitas de España se remodeló el edificio completamente según la dirección de Ventura Rodriguez, añadiendo la escalinata de piedra a la entrada para ser la nueva sede universitaria.

Ya en el siglo XIX, como otros edificios conventuales de Alcalá, el edificio colegial pasó a ser cuartel de caballería hasta los años 80 del siglo pasado que fue rehabilitado de nuevo para albergar la facultad de Derecho fundada en 1991. Y en cuyo muro lateral de ladrillo se pueden leer los nombres de los ilustres alumnos que pasaron por sus aulas desde el siglo XVI hasta la clausura de la Univesidad.

Fis2, PiotrF, holmertz, jhm, macjake, ChrisJ, sacimar, COSTANTINO, PaulVDV has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 40
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8271 W: 5 N: 14897] (66308)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH