Photos

Photographer's Note

The Convent of Agustinas de Santa María Magdalena in Alcalá de Henares is also known by the name of Santa María la Mayor or Our Lady of Consolation, it was originally founded in the 16th century as a shelter for women, to fight against prostitution, that she had been attracted to Alcalá by the dense student population. It initially functioned as a Reception House and had the protection of Cardinal Gaspar Quiroga.

Later it changed its location and became a closure of Augustinian nuns between 1668 and 1672, at the initiative of Don Andrés de Villarán. Inside is the image of the Virgen de las Mercedes, who is the patron saint of the city. The carving is a copy made in the year 1938, of the previous Renaissance carving.

The plan of the church is of a Latin cross in a rectangle and is divided by arches into five sections, a large brick vault plastered with mortar, simulating stone ashlar. The arches rest on the outer buttresses and, between these, the small side chapels rise. Its brick façade with stone decorations is of the Encarnación de Madrid type

However, what most attracts attention and gives it its personality is its beautiful dome, with a slender lantern and a sharp capital, which protrudes from the cover.

An important corner of the church, located on one of its sides, is worth mentioning. We refer to the Toril, the old cloister of the Franciscan convent with a large square patio, which, as a result of the confiscations, passed into private hands.

The church is attributed to the architect Fray Lorenzo de San Nicolás and was completed in 1762. Its perspective from Calle de Santa Úrsula is one of the most beautiful Baroque images of the city of Alcalá.

Despite being saved from the confiscation of Mendizábal in the year 1936, it was almost completely destroyed in the Civil War, having remained nothing of it but its skeleton and a Mudejar roof, it was rebuilt during the postwar period.

----------------------------------------------------

El Convento de Agustinas de Santa María Magdalena en Alcalá de Henares también es conocido con el nombre de Santa María la Mayor o Nuestra Señora de la Consolación, fue funda originariamente en el siglo XVI como casa de acogida para mujeres, para luchar contra la prostitución, que había venido atraída a Alcalá por la densa población estudiantil. Funcionó, en un principio como Casa de Acogida y contó con la protección del cardenal Gaspar Quiroga.

Posteriormente cambió su ubicación y se convierte en clausura de monjas agustinas entre 1668 y 1672, a iniciativa de don Andrés de Villarán. En su interior se encuentra la imagen de la Virgen de las Mercedes, que es la patrona de la ciudad. La talla es una copia hecha en el año 1938, de la anterior talla renacentista.

La planta de la iglesia de es de cruz latina en un rectángulo y está dividida por arcos en cinco tramos, una gran bóveda de ladrillo enlucida con mortero, simulando sillería de piedra. Los arcos descansan en los contrafuertes exteriores y, entre estos, se levantan las pequeñas capillas laterales. Su fachada, de ladrillo y con adornos en piedra, es del tipo de la Encarnación de Madrid

Sin embargo, lo que más llama la atención y le confiere su personalidad es su hermosa cúpula, con una esbelta linterna y un afilado capitel, que sobresale de la portada.

Es digno de mención un rincón importante de la iglesia, situado en uno de sus laterales. Nos referimos al Toril, antiguo claustro del convento franciscano con un amplio patio cuadrado, que, a raíz de las desamortizaciones, pasó a manos privadas.

La iglesia se atribuye al arquitecto fray Lorenzo de San Nicolás y se finalizo en 1762. Su perspectiva desde la calle de Santa Úrsula es una de las más bellas imágenes barrocas de la ciudad de Alcalá.

A pesar de salvarse de la desamortización de Mendizábal en el año 1936, quedó casi completamente destruido en la Guerra Civil, no habiendo quedado más de él que su esqueleto y una techumbre mudéjar, fue reconstruido durante la posguerra.

papagolf21, Fis2, holmertz, quovadis, ktanska, PaulVDV, jean113, ricardomattos has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 42
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8271 W: 5 N: 14897] (66308)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH