Photographer's Note

The Strazky Castle
The village of Strazky was found in the late 12th century. The oldest preserved documentary evidence of this village is a deed of donation by King Adalbert IV dated 1251.

The first better-known aristocratic owners of Strážky were the Berzeviczy family, who acquired it from King Charles Robert in the early 14th century. In 1556 the new owner was Marko Horvath-tansith de Gradec. One of the most important members of this Croatian family was Gregor Horvath-Stansith. He had the house rebuilt in Renaissance style, and set up a Latin-meduim schol oh humanities and a library. The Horvath-Stansith owned the stately home until 1801, ehen the Szirmay family became the new owners of Strážky. In the late 19th century the house became the property of the Mednyánszki and ultimately the Czóbel family, who lived there until 1945. After the death of the younger Margita Czóbel (1972), tha last owner of the stately home, thebuilding came under the administration of the Slovak National Gallery.
After many years of reconstruction work it was opened to the public in
1991, offering the opportunity to view several permanent exhibitions.
The castle also contains an English park.

pierrefonds, ikeharel, pajaran, Fis2, Royaldevon, holmertz, jhm has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Piotr Fagasiewicz (PiotrF) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 5529 W: 2 N: 10853] (51144)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2020-09-09
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2020-09-17 15:37
Viewed: 0
Points: 34
  • None
Additional Photos by Piotr Fagasiewicz (PiotrF) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 5529 W: 2 N: 10853] (51144)
View More Pictures