Photos

Photographer's Note

The entrance of the Mogosoaia palace built by one of the richest Romanian voivodes,Constantin Brancoveanu.
Mogosoaia Palace (Palatul Mogosoaia)
Mogosoaia Palace is located in the village with the same name about 14 km northwest of Bucharest's center. The palace is one of the most beautiful 18C buildings in Romania, a fine example of the Brancovenesc style. It was built by the Wallachian prince Constatin Brancoveanu between 1698 and 1702 as a summer residence for his family and as a present for his son Stefan. The palace is located in a beautiful setting, surrounded by a park and sitting by the shore of the Mogosoaia lake which mirrors its profile. When Brancoveanu and all his sons found their death in Istanbul in 1714 the palace turned into an inn and was afterwards damaged during the Russian-Turkish war of 1769-1774. Towards the end of the 19C the palace passed to the Bibescu family, who were distantly related to the Brancoveanus. Under the care of Marthe Bibescu, a cultured person devoted to Romania and its people, the palace was restored by two architects, the Venetian Domenico Rupolo and the Romanian G.M. Cantacuzino. In 1956 the palace was handed over to the state and turned into a museum and later it was closed when Ceausescu took the furniture for his own use. During the 1977 earthquake the building is damaged but repairs in 1990s made the palace fit to visit again. The palace as it looks today, has a beautiful Venetian-style loggia on the facade facing the lake, while overlooking the main courtyard is a balcony with carvings showing the characteristic phytomorphic motifs of Brancoveanu style. Mogosoaia museum exhibits embroideries, icons, wooden sculptures and oil paintings, most from private donations. On the left as you enter the complex sits the little church dedicated to St. George of the Meadow. It was built in 1688 and decorated by a team of Greek painters. You can still see the original paintings inside the church including a painting showing Constantin Brancoveanu with his wife, Maris, his four sons and seven daughters, all wearing royal dress.


*from http://virtualromania.org

asiivalceni, isabela_sor, teutza, cmoraru, japiey, meyerd, yedirenk has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1673
Points: 22
Discussions
Additional Photos by Oana St (oanna) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 242 W: 72 N: 193] (1202)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH