Photographer's Note

Pieter Florisz

Sunk by own crew in Enkhuizen May 14 1940 after the capitulation by Dutch forces in Holland. Salvaged by the Germans and commissioned into the German Kriegsmarine. Converted from December 1940 as torpedo recovery vessel and renamed M 551. Under command of Oberleutnant zur See der Reserve Helmut Langer, the ship was in August 1944 added to the 27th U-flotilla ( Korvetten-kapitän Erich Topp ), which was responsible for the tactical training of U-boats. Retroceded 1945 and repaired at the Rijkswerf Willemsoord in Den Helder. Commissioned under her old name in mid 1946, the ship served as fishery inspection vessel. She left for the NEI on September 16 1947 where it served as patrol vessel, later as minesweeper with the 1st flotilla in Soerabaja. After return, the ship was converted to boom defence vessel. Stricken 1961 and transferred to the Zeekadetkorps Nederland in IJmuiden in February 1946. Decommissioned September 1976 and sold for scrap. Currently still laid up in Hendrik Ido Ambacht.

Update March 2006; The ship is endend as scrap

Cliffy, simonekarl, FORJP001 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 3470
Points: 7
  • None
Additional Photos by Peter Libregts (pelib) Silver Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 11 W: 1 N: 90] (424)
View More Pictures