Photos

Photographer's Note

Cathedral of San Savino - Castro (VT)

The primitive cathedral of the ancient diocese of Castro was the church of San Pancrazio, as can be seen from the bull of Pope Leo IX addressed in 1053 to Bishop Ottone, the seat later transferred to the church of Santa Maria within the city walls, until construction in XIII century of the new cathedral of San Savino, consecrated on April 29, 1286 by Bishop Bernardo II da Bagnoregio, as attested by a plaque, already present on the facade.
It was then radically restored in the 16th century due to a landslide that caused the collapse of the central body.
The church had a rectangular shape and a basilica with three naves, the facade was adorned with a rose window with marble columns, according to a model common in Upper Lazio that recalls the churches of Santa Maria and San Pietro in Tuscania. Despite the radical changes to the complex, the façade retained its medieval features with bases in nenfro, side columns and decorations with lunettes, columns, anthropomorphic sculptures and animal statues (the lion, the eagle, the bull, symbols of the evangelists), some preserved at the municipal museum of Ischia di Castro. It had a round bell tower and a rectangular apse.
The interior had three naves with the central one divided into five bays, it had six chapels. The apse was probably rectangular in shape and frescoed in the 16th century in Mannerist style with the depiction of the Glory of San Savino. The floor was made up of terracotta tiles of different geometric shapes. The pillars of the central nave corresponded to the semi-pillars of the side aisles which delimited four chapels. The fourth chapel on the left led to the bell tower whose bells, after the destruction of Castro in 1649, were brought by order of Olimpia Maidalchini, to the church of Sant'Agnese in Piazza Navona.

SEE WS FOR DECORATION

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17699 W: 130 N: 37177] (202688)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2020-09-21
  • Exposure: f/0.1, 30 seconds
  • Photo Version: Original Version, Workshop
  • Date Submitted: 2020-09-26 0:26
Viewed: 0
Points: 32
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17699 W: 130 N: 37177] (202688)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH