Photos

Photographer's Note

Le Mura - Ferentillo (TR)

Small village located along the ancient mule track that from Ferentillo led to San Mamiliano. Roman remains have been found nearby. Probably originally it was a hillside castle, then turned into an agricultural villa, but little remains of such phases of its history.
Today only five families live there, but the town is almost completely restored; it presents an unusually high level of building tone for a small rural village, with beautiful 17th and 18th century buildings.
At the entrance to the small village, on the right, above the door of a house there is a kiosk with a fresco almost illegible.
The beautiful church of the Holy Trinity is equipped with two simple, but elegant Renaissance portals, one on the facade, the other on the right side, which preserves faint traces of frescoes on the lunette, depicting the coat of arms of the Lateran chapter. Above the main portal, a small oculus opens; the single-arched bell tower is centrally located, but set back from the façade. The modest interior is a single room, you can admire a simple but elegant wooden altar display, containing a modest canvas depicting the Trinity. Another canvas depicts St. Michael the Archangel trampling the devil. The holy water font is made from an ancient capital, perhaps from an early Christian building.
Just after the church, on a beautiful building that bears the date 1678, there is a very deteriorated fresco, depicting the Madonna and Child.
Further ahead, an elegant building, the home of a notary, shows the date 1768.
Along the road that leads to Ferentillo there is a kiosk, with a naive depiction of the Trinity, and a beautiful restored farmhouse, now used as a farmhouse.

Royaldevon, holmertz, ikeharel, jhm, Fis2, PiotrF has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 34
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 17488 W: 130 N: 36595] (200334)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH