Photos

Photographer's Note

Campo di Verano cemetery

The project for a municipal cemetery in Rome first surfaced during Napoleon's times. Works began in 1811 in the selected area, close to the Basilica of San Lorenzo Fuori le Mura [outside the city wall], a plot that originally belonged to the Verani family. In 1859 new works began, on the basis of a plan by Virginio Vespignani.
Overall, the aspect of the Cemetery is typified by the original XIX century structure by Vespignani (gateway, Quadriportico and Chapel), that are matched, in terms of architectural and urban quality, by the remarkable structures of the Pincetto vecchio and the
Pincetto nuovo, with especially valuable items from the last decades of the XIX century onwards.
The cemetery hosts several works by major Roman and Italian architects and sculptors. To mention but a few authors: G. Koch, Pio and Marcello Piacentini, G. Monteverde, E. Ximenes, P. Canonica, E. Ferrari, D. Cambellotti. The series of XIX century funerary portraits by Filippo Severati are especially interesting, due to the originality of materials and their inherent quality: they are painted on lava and represent an important gallery of the affluent Roman bourgeoisie, who, as clients, required artefacts up to their role.
www.significantcemeteries.net/significant/roma/Intro.html





Cimitero del Verano

Il Verano (ufficialmente "Cimitero Comunale Monumentale Campo Verano") è il cimitero comunale e monumentale di Roma situato nel quartiere Tiburtino, nei pressi della zona di San Lorenzo e vicino alla Basilica di San Lorenzo fuori le mura. Deve il nome verano dall'antico campo dei Verani, gens senatoria ai tempi della repubblica romana.
a zona, posta lungo la via consolare Tiburtina, era da sempre luogo di sepoltura (sono oggi inglobate nel cimitero le catacombe di Santa Ciriaca, e vi fu sepolto San Lorenzo, sulla cui tomba sorsero la basilica e il convento). Il cimitero moderno fu istituito durante il regno napoleonico del 1805-1814 su progetto di Giuseppe Valadier tra il 1807 e il 1812, in ossequio all'editto di Saint Cloud del 1804, che imponeva le sepolture al di fuori le mura delle città. Riconquistata la città, l'amministrazione papalina mantenne tuttavia la nuova regolamentazione cimiteriale, e anzi sotto Pio IX il progetto ebbe una strutturazione definitiva e furono acquistati altri terreni.

Divenuta Roma capitale, il progetto fu continuato da Virginio Vespignani, al quale si deve l'imponente entrata: un quadriportico con quattro statue completato nel 1880. Le quattro statue rappresentano: la Meditazione, la Speranza, la Carità e il Silenzio.

ciakgiak, jlbrthnn, chpp, lucasgalodoido has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 3810
Points: 38
Discussions
Additional Photos by Giorgio Clementi (Clementi) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 3694 W: 437 N: 9370] (52514)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH