Photographer's Note

The Fondaco dei Tedeschi (Venetian: Fontego dei Tedeschi) is a historic building in Venice, northern Italy, situated on the Grand Canal near the Rialto Bridge. It was the headquarters and restricted living quarters of the city's German (Tedeschi) merchants.

First constructed in 1228, the building was rebuilt between 1505 and 1508, after its destruction in a fire. The reconstruction produced a very functional four-floor building which surrounds a grand inner courtyard.

In the 20th century the building served as the Venice headquarters of the Poste Italiane. In 2008, the building was sold to the Benetton Group who asked the Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas to plan a new shopping centre to be incorporated into the Renaissance building.

Around 1508, the fašade on the Canal Grande was frescoed by Giorgione and Titian. Of that work, deteriorated by the salty and humid climate of the lagoon, a few fragments survive, now housed in the Ca'D'Oro of Venice.

The interior also features outstanding artworks by Paolo Veronese, Titian and Jacopo Tintoretto, also mostly disappeared.

holmertz, burmaman, pajaran, COSTANTINO, NickVu, jhm, jean113, ChrisJ has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Janusz Wala (Ilonka1974) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 336 W: 0 N: 1531] (10307)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2019-06-23
  • Exposure: 1/20 seconds
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2021-02-10 11:51
Viewed: 0
Points: 26
  • None
Additional Photos by Janusz Wala (Ilonka1974) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 336 W: 0 N: 1531] (10307)
View More Pictures