Photographer's Note

I took this photograph on the occasion " to go of Christmas "
since the square of the church evangelist, One reaches it by a pontoon since which one discovers an interesting prospect which overhangs Rur on l' back of " the houses which border the torrent "
connecting the church and the red house to the Horchen hotel all in white, on the line of this one is profiled the country cottages of Christmas which lead us since Richeters Eck, the place of going, and finishes with the patere Hofje behind the church " Aukirche et Auklosker "
On the left of the image in the prolongation of the church, one little to admire The Red House, built about 1760 by Johann Heinrich Scheibler, fine cloth manufacturer, the house was not useful solely like dwelling house, but also sheltered the office and the warehouses like, at the cellar, the rooms of washing and dyeing with channels of rinsing,the Red House, today a museum which can be visited within the framework of guided circuits, the narrow small town, with its half-timbered houses, located in the north of Eiffel at the edges of Rur, lived its economic apogee at the XVIIIe century. Here the wool cloths fine and invaluable and exported as far as Turkey and in Russia were manufactured. At best times, between 4.000 and 6.000 ropemaking machines and tisserands worked in Eiffel and the area of Limbourg as home workers for the Scheibler company, when, at the beginning of the XIXe century, the machinelle production started to impose itself, workers flowed into the cities, in search of a livelihood, but the bad transportation routes and impossibility for the companies of taking extension in the narrow valley of Rur made little by little emigrate the industry of cloth, today, it is before all the museum of the Red House which evokes the olden days of splendour of textile industry with Montjoie. In top of the image you can even the castle (Das Rote Haus) C' is to the dukes of Limbourg that l' l' is owed; erection of this primitive castle, around 1190. Ordering the valley of Roer to leaving its tour fagnard, this one falls into l' escarcelle of the dukes of Jülich in 1433. Besieged and carried by the troops of Charles Quint, which benefit from it to plunder the city, it n' in remainder not less with Jülich jusqu' in 1609, date of its integration in Palatinat-Neuburg. In 1795, the area becomes French and Montjoie l' one of the chief towns of canton of the department of Roer. The shortly after Waterloo, Prussia s' install, preserving at the capital of the “Kreis (district of) Montjoie „its name, which will not become “Monschau „qu' in 1918, MERRY CHRISTMAS, MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL AND ALL

Aviller, mehr, Gerrit, parbo, Budapestman, patdeph, delkoo, jhm, pablominto has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2567
Points: 62
  • None
Additional Photos by dominique france (kermit350) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1478 W: 161 N: 1976] (9016)
View More Pictures