Photos

Photographer's Note

l' church of Baelen, dedicated with saint-Paul and primitive parish of the area, existed alone in IXe century, known first serving is the Lambertus chaplain. This one, in 1178, is at the same time secretary and chaplain of the duke of Limbourg, Henri III (1167-1221)
with l' initiative of the abbots of, " Rolduc " was built a church of Romance style around the years 1180 and completely transformed about 1400 into Gothic style. The last great restoration goes back to 1773 like l' attest a hardcore embedded in the WESTERN frontage of the tower and presenting l' inscription: " Anno 1773 Renova". It was made out of marble of the Forging mills or marble of Baelen D' ultimate work still took place: in 1911, where l' one built a staircase turret fixed on face CUS of the tower and in 1931, year when a new entry under the tower was carried out. L' religious building measures 12m the broad one and 26m length. The vessel is lit, on each side, by windows of ogival style enchased of modern stained glasses (1930).
Chorus, located at l' IS, benefits from l' illumination of three windows equipped with stained glasses dated from the end from the last century. " The tower, undoubtedly the oldest part of all l' building, is presented in the form d' a quadrilateral of 10m on side on a height of 27m "
It supports the twisted, . " high arrow of 40m " Reversed with various recoveries by the winds and storms, l' architect Offerman inhabitant of Aix imagined the helicoid form in 1773 of it. Like architectural vestiges d' a certain value, it is necessary to notice, the bays geminated of Romance style at the top of the tower and re-used at the time of its restoration. Some parts of value decorate l' interior of l' church, namely: - Baptismal Tank realized out of calcareous stone, it presents an octagonal edge divided symmetrically by four will mascarons. An inscription cut in hollow animates the field of the known as edge and presents the date 1538. Mention is made there of the priest Andréas van Geyllen, formerly cleaned this parish of 1533 to 1542.- Pulpit of Truth of style Louis XV and carved by R. Delcommune, it presents a decorated pediment d' a chronogram whose numeral letters offer the date of 1767: " waits which caelum cupIs" (Listening, you which wish the sky). The tank (of round form) presents, on one of its faces, l' Vexillary lamb surrounded d' a decoration of rubbles. The coating of the column represents Saint-Paul. - Christ with the triumphal cross suspended above the chorus, it must date from XVe century. The attributes of the Evangelists decorate, in medallions, the four ends of the cross. Another specimen of triumphal cross and of the same time is in l' Saint-Georges church in Limbourg.

Budapestman, snunney, ChrisJ, vbbreizh, ElAprendiz, patdeph has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2508
Points: 56
Discussions
Additional Photos by dominique france (kermit350) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1478 W: 161 N: 1976] (9016)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH