Photos

Photographer's Note

The city's origins date back to the early sixteenth century, because in 1502 there was activity in the coastal port Porto, while the dependent population center of La Orotava. It is in 1603 when he decided to draw a specific location in Puerto de la Cruz to build a church and its corresponding square.

In the mid-seventeenth century the neighbors began to express his desire to become a distinct, receiving the Royal Provision of Philip IV the May 3, 1651, which empowered them to name a village headman.

Until 1772 belonged to the municipality of La Orotava under the name Puerto de la Orotava. Although in that year proceeded to the election of a municipal corporation elected by the residents, it was not until 1808 that you would get a full municipal autonomy, changing at the time the current name Puerto de la Cruz.

It was originally a fishing village that grew as they increased the local trade. The port became the most important of the island when a volcanic eruption destroyed the Garachico in 1706. The sugar trade gave way to the wine, this time settling in a large social and economic development.

Tourism begins to have an important bearing on the local economy in the late nineteenth century. It was in those years when he built the Grand Hotel Taoro and began to remodel old family houses, like the Marchioness of Monopol, to transform them into the first hotel in the city centers. Finally, the real tourism boom came in the 50's of XX century, when the city began its transformation to become a reference point for tourists on the island and the archipelago.


-----------------------------------------------------


Los orígenes de la ciudad se remontan a principios del siglo XVI, pues ya en 1502 existía actividad portuaria en el litoral portuense, si bien el núcleo de población dependía de La Orotava. Es en 1603 cuando se decide señalar un lugar concreto en el Puerto de la Cruz donde levantar una iglesia y su correspondiente plaza.

A mediados del siglo XVII los vecinos comenzaron a manifestar su voluntad de constituirse en un lugar diferenciado, recibiendo la Real Provisión de Felipe IV el 3 de mayo de 1651, lo que les facultaba para nombrar alcalde pedáneo.

Hasta 1772 perteneció al municipio de La Orotava bajo la denominación Puerto de la Orotava. Aunque en ese año se procedió a la elección de una corporación municipal elegida por los vecinos, no sería hasta 1808 cuando se obtendría una autonomía municipal plena, cambiándose en ese momento el nombre al actual de Puerto de la Cruz.

En su origen fue un poblado de pescadores que fue creciendo a medida que se incrementaba el comercio local. El puerto se convirtió en el más importante de la isla cuando una erupción volcánica destruyó el de Garachico en 1706. El comercio del azúcar dio paso al del vino, estableciéndose en ésta época un gran desarrollo social y económico.

El turismo comienza a tener un peso importante en la economía local a finales del siglo XIX. Fue en aquellos años cuando se construyó el Gran Hotel Taoro y comenzaron a remodelarse antiguas casas familiares, como la de la Marquesa de Monopol, para transformarlas en los primeros centros hoteleros de la ciudad. Finalmente, la auténtica explosión turística llegó en los años 50 del siglo XX, cuando la ciudad comenzó su transformación para convertirse en referente turístico de la isla y todo el archipiélago.

Photo Information
Viewed: 2943
Points: 64
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8735 W: 5 N: 15760] (70332)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH