Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2021-09-25 2:18

Hello Mariusz,
I could be wrong but I find it very hard to understand that these people here are harming the environment.
I certainly don't want to act as rules don't apply to me but I often ask myself why exactly something isn't allowed and that is not always clear. Of course there must be traffic and other rules in a society and the protection of the environment is certainly important.
But as a traveller you're often confronted with forbidden places while there seems to be no sensible reason for it.
I could be wrong but at first sight it seems normal that these people on the other side of the fence want to take a picture there.
On the other hand, I've been very annoyed by the irresponsible behaviour of people during the corona pandemic lately. For example, taking off a mouth mask or wearing it under the nose in places where it is not allowed.
Best regards, Paul

Old 09-25-2021, 10:26 AM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: why

Hi Paul,
You are right in a way. They don't do any harm. However, there are hundreds thousands of tourists passing through that park. There is a fragile nature there. Going behind these fences didn't cause any immediate harm except for other people who want to take photo without the trails left by these people they have to go even further away from the fence. And the next group even further.
It has to stop at one point.
If it is a rocky environment, I would think it does not matter, but if it is landscape with unique shape of dunes and patterns, the next arriving group sees only a pile of sand.
But most importantly it is about the number of visitors per surface area. If it is in the US where national parks are enormous and almost empty than few trails make no difference. The wind will remove them next day. But if it is thousands of people in a small national park, it will never recover.
Interestingly though there are further some places in the same park where you can go and explore but they are not close to the larger resorts so nobody really goes there.
Kind regards,
M