Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2021-05-29 10:57

Hello Gert,
I find these houses painted in red very beautiful.
Also very charming and picturesque. The steep cobbled road and the quiet green surroundings add to that picturesque feeling.
It gives life in a big city or at least not too far from the center of a big city a very pleasant dimension.
Too bad the birdhouse is not a miniature house in red and white :)
Earlier you explained us the origin of the Falu red colour.
Is the fact that this colour was so often used to paint houses typical of Stockholm? I seem to remember seeing a lot of red buildings in the open-air museum of Skansen. So in smaller places that beautiful colour was also used to paint the buildings.
But what about other major Swedish cities? For example, do Göteborg and Malmö also have such beautiful older districts?
(I almost wrote red districts but that would lead to misunderstandings)
PS: The Swedish word 'lots' sounds quite similar to 'loods' in Dutch (word with the same meaning).
Best regards, Paul

Old 05-29-2021, 07:14 PM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: other places

Thank you Paul,
I would rather think of the countryside if I would look for Falu red wooden houses. Stockholm is probably unique among major cities to have kept and preserved so many such buildings, mainly on Södermalm. There are patches of them in certain other cities and smaller towns, but in most cases such "primitive" houses were pulled down, often in the "progressive" era of the 1960's and 70's. I am not at all familiar with Malmö, but this tradition probably never reached that far south. In case there were any in Göteborg they are probably all gone. But travel through rural central or northern Sweden and you will probably find them everywhere, although not as old as those on Södermalm. Maybe the old ones were all moved to Skansen. ;-)
Have a nice Sunday,
Gert
Old 06-01-2021, 05:51 PM
TE Expert

Thank you Gert!