Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great jean113 2020-04-02 7:16

Hello John, don't feel sheepish! We all have occasions when things have to be re-prioritised. Good to see you back.
The Mallard, made in Doncaster, and they are very proud of that fact.
This is a great view of this record breaker; the light is managed superbly.
The fine streamlined lines and the bright blue and red really stand out.
The father and children are 'the icing on the cake' completing this excellent shot.
Informative notes.
Kind regards, Jean.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:31 PM
TE Expert

Default To jean113: Mallard......

Hello Jean,

Thank you for your kind words!

Yes, this masterpiece of engineering was indeed built in Doncaster and I'm sure that the people of that city are quite rightly very proud too. I showed this photo to a railway enthusiast friend of mine and he told me that each of those huge 6' 8" driving wheels bears, on one of its spokes, the word "COLTNESS" as they were actually cast at the Coltness Iron Company in Newmains, Lanarkshire, just about eight miles from where we live. Of course I didn't know about that when I took the photo or I might have studied the wheels more closely! Apparently the wheels of the other A4 Pacific locomotives, including the Flying Scotsman, were cast there too.

And, yes, of course I was lucky to catch the father and two children in the photo - otherwise Gert wouldn't have given it a second look! - and I've definitely come to realise that the vast majority of photographs do very much benefit from the inclusion of some human interest!

You take care in these troubling times.

Kind Regards,

John.