Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great kasianowak 2017-10-01 3:57

Hi Chris
Somewhat unexpected post from that corner of the world, it's almost unbelievable how peaceful the scenery looks.
Beautifully photographed, the ondulating arid landscape adorned with patches of greenery looks rather inviting to anyone who fancies a stroll.
Your comments about explosions that first sounded like thunders reminds me of my own travels in Iraqi Kurdistan in 2014. When I woke up to the smell of smoke on the bus from Diyarbakir to Erbil I thought it was coming from a battle (I was about 30 km away from the front line). But my experience was opposite to yours as it then turned out to be the fumes from a rafinery...
Makes me wonder what you were doing in Syria - a natural curiosity of a traveller or a job?
Best wishes
Kasia

Old 10-01-2017, 11:12 AM
TE Expert

Default To kasianowak: Syria

Hello Kasia

Umm Qays /Qais, where I stayed, is in Jordan, right next door to Syria, and Israel. I never crossed the border. Both Syria and Iraq are still very unsafe travel destinations at the moment. Umm Qais is famous for its archeological ruins, which is what brought me there. It has a lookout over the Sea of Galilee in Israel / Palestine. Umm Qays was a target back in the 1967 when Jordan and Israel were at war, but is safe now. The Israelis were good shots as they successfully bombed the Jordanian observation posts, but missed all of the ruins only metres away.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:03 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Syria

Thanks for your reply Chris.
Regards
Kasia