Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2016-01-30 9:31

Hello Franz,
I think these are similar to Jizōs.
They can be found in the garden near a temple or also somewhere in natural surroundings.
Jizō is the Japanese name of Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva, one of the deities best-known of the country, worshiped as the protector of the unborn, persons aborted, the dead at a young age ...
It is the embodiment of the Bodhisattva Vow, the aspiration to save all beings from suffering.
Jizōs are often depicted as a child-monk and usually found dressed in tiny children's clothing or red bibs and red caps. According to Japanese folklore red is a colour that leaves the devil and disease.
Parents of a deceased child dress a Jizō to protect their lost child and to help it to cross to the other side of the river Sanzu, to achieve life after death.
Jizōs are also considered as the protector of pregnant women, firemen and travelers. For this reason the statues are often placed on trails and at intersections of roads so that the correct way will be chosen.
Sometimes grieving parents place toys and other offerings beside the Jizō statue (the hello Kitty is probably another example of this) to invoke protection of their dead child. Offerings are also made to thank Jizō for saving their child from a serious illness.
You've posted here a very interesting picture of a part of the Japanese culture that is unknown in the west.
Excellent capture.
Best regards, Paul

Old 02-02-2016, 08:15 PM
TE Newbie

Default To PaulVDV: Thank you!

Hello Paul,

i have to thank you very much for the detailed information. I admire your knowledge about the japanese culture!

Best regards, F.