Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2014-03-07 14:22

Hello Rosemary,

This is a charming portrait of two young boys. I like the double pose and your use of a narrow dof.

You say you found monks with guns surreal. I found it quite disturbing. I would have thought that guns would have been the last things that these young monks would have been given as toys. Maybe I am being too sensitive but I never encouraged my own children to play with pretend guns and, at school, there was always a subtle way to turn a pretend gun into some other, less sinister object.

Still, your photograph is well composed and records exactly what you experienced.

Have a great w/e,
Bev :-)

Old 03-08-2014, 05:56 AM
TE Expert

Smile To Royaldevon: Shocked

Hello Bev - One of the aspects I loved about Bhutan was the very strong adherence to traditional values, here was a place I felt really secure in, the people were very warm and welcoming and despite hard lives seemed content. Money was introduced into the system of bartering in the 1960's, TV first appeared in 1999. Cut off from the world things have changed very slowly in this small isolated Kingdom.

I was quite shocked to see these boys playing with toy guns. It was like a slap in the face. What I had fallen in love with was being eroded by western culture and the precious Buddhist, peace-loving nation will lose its identity within this century I'm sure.

What is the fascination boys have for guns I wonder? It seems universal

Have a great weekend

Rosemary