Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good avene 2010-01-01 16:04

hello George,

I think you have found a great angle to show this inner yard of the Monastery, I like a lot the seemingly random collection of shapes, colours and textures. I also think the overhanging column in the upper right corner works really well as a natural frame, and emphasises the juxtaposition of the building. in terms of composition my only comment is about timing - looks like there's a person at the end of the yard, but right now it is almost impossible to separate him from the wooden poles in the background. may be a second later he would have moved and be better visible.

I have more comments on the technical aspect, where the photo needs some improvements, at least adjustments of levels and curves to remove slight digital fog (the gray cast), which in turn boosts the colours. I've done a quick WS to show what I mean. also, why leave ISO at 100 on such an overcast day? 1/60 sec exposure is a bit too slow to be razor sharp, and no photoshop will help that. but as I said, the place looks great, I hope you have a chance to go back and try some other shots.

best,
Kristine

Old 01-02-2010, 06:25 AM
TE Newbie

Default To avene: Regarding Karakalou Monastery

Hi Kristine,

Thank you for your detailed and costructive criticism. I wasn't too happy with the quality of my photo as well. But at the moment I fall a bit short on both the equipment and skills areas. My camera is a simple 70 euro one, and I don't know if I can manipulate the ISO and the exposure time. Even worst, I am not even that familiar with this kind of terminology, so as you can see I am far from a photography expert. Once I can afford better equipment, I ensure you I will try my best to perfect my skills. My only strong point at the moment, I would like to think, is that I have a good sense of POV.

Also, let me add that this photo was taken about an hour before sunset under heavy mist, so the conditions wasn't the best to begin with. Also I had to hurry a bit, as taking photos from within the gates of a monastery is not usually permitted. So, the result may be a bit crude, but you get a glimpse of a place and area that is not accesible to women as this is a male monastery in Mount Athos. You did a very good job improving this photo with your workshop.