Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good avene 2009-06-04 5:35

hello Claire,
I wonder how you can get close with the nature while sitting in a hot air baloon :)
as to the photo - way oversharpened. what looks like a midday sun is already harsh enough, so if you had very hard sharpening, you destroy all the textures of the rock, they become just random lines. also, there are halos around the edges because of the sharpening and compression (your file is only little over 150Kb, only half of the size allowed on TE).

best,
Kristine

Old 06-04-2009, 01:18 PM
TE Newbie

Default To avene: hi

You get close with nature in a hot air balloon by using your zoom. I'm kidding.
Anyway, thanks for your comments. I always lose image sharpness by com,pressing the photo to 800 pixels. This size is just fine for the web but if I zoom it in I see the difference. :)
Cheers
Old 06-04-2009, 01:37 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To avene: hi

yeah, zoom lenses are the best for getting close :))
about the compression - in images like this, with lots of tiny details, compression really can do a lot of damage. try this - you work and do all the adjustments on the big file. everything except sharpening. once your're happy with the results, you can start downsizing, but do it in steps. say the image is 3500px on the longer egde - first downsize to 3200px, then to 2700px, then to 2200 and so on, in about 500px steps. you don't have to do anything between the steps, just set the new sizes one after another. and then, when you have your 800px, sharpen the photo. I always do this way, I find it really helps preserving details. I've read about other ways to downsize, like using only one of the channels, but it's just too complicated for me :)

take care,
Kristine
Old 06-04-2009, 08:22 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To avene: hi

cool, I'll try it next time. Thanks :)