Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Clairedelune 2007-11-28 15:54

Well Hugh...
You told me once that I was not able to judge masterpieces and that I had not enough sensitivity. Since then, I did not have the desire to critique your photos. You know, I prefer to leave critiques to people who value them (and by that, I don't mean they have to agree with them!). And I will keep in saying what I think (as much as possible) and not use everywhere the so overused word "masterpiece". So, I'll tell you in advance: sorry!

Now, in my modest opinion, I know one thing or two about panning. In my small gallery, I have a few panning photos. And I have two of night panning. I confirm, it is not easy to do! Tons of photos have finished their life in the garbage bin. But, if they are the most challenging, they are also the most interesting. The tricks is not only to get a clear subject, but the lights behind should make some nice pattern. And here, you have both. I love the ground, kind of rusty silky ground... and the complete shadow... just great. I like also the truck (hey! not sure it is, but it might be!) on the right part that seems to be slowly dismantling itself into parts.
So, hats off to you. It is a good panning photo!
And your previous one is also good. But I won't push my luck by doing a second critique! :))))
Claire

Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 AM
TE Senior Member

Default To Clairedelune: Overused words

Hi, Claire,
Well, I have to say I am a bit hesitant to respond to your critique. After the incident you refer to, you somehow managed to make your comment and our entire exchange disappear. Not sure how you achieved that magic act, but, as I recall, it bothered me much more than the controversial critique itself. At first I considered it an act of cowardice. After all, if I one is going to undertake judging the work of someone else, one must be willing to have one's judgment also judged. Now, I know your argument is that I misunderstood your critique -- that your comments were actually complimentary and that my reaction was not merited. Perhaps there's some truth to that. But it's also conceivable that one's words can convey things that perhaps the person who offers them does not realize. You are an educated person. I'm sure you understand the problematics of subjectivity and signifying practice. (For instance, there is a great difference between calling something a "masterpiece" and making a point of saying something "is not a masterpiece.") In any case, I do not mean to dredge up the old issue -- and, since the words have been cleanly erased -- there is really no way to revisit them now, even were I to imagine that a worthwhile endeavor (which I don't). I mention it only to say that while at first I looked upon the disappearance of the critique and our exchange with a sense of great displeasure, I also speculated almost immediately that you had had those comments removed at least in part because you regretted offending me (even though offense was not your intention). As time passed, I came to believe this was the truth, even though I have no basis for drawing that conclusion. Perhaps cowardice or shame was the motivation. But I choose to tell myself that -- having seen that you are a sensitive person -- you simply didn't want to have those words out there if they upset me. Again, I don't know if this is true, and it doesn't matter. It's the story I choose to believe now. So, this is all to say that I have no hard feelings about all that. And if you are inspired to comment on my photos, well, it's certainly fine for you to do so. Needless to say. And, of course, you will say what you feel, no question. And I will think what I think (though perhaps I will not go so far as to say what I think). It is interesting, however, that you've chosen to comment on my panning shots. I am well aware of yours. I think a panning shot of yours might have been the first one I ever commented on in your gallery. Well, maybe I was thinking of that shot today when I saw how little interest this one drew. Not that I have any reason to expect lots of acclaim . . . But, still. . . . I will allow, of course, that your pan of the man with the umbrella is "better" than either of my two attempts here. But is it THAT much better? It's no fault of yours, of course, and let me be clear, I am not implying that at all. But I just find it kind of cosmically curious that you were moved to comment on this one. Because, it's just a bit of frustration for me that some photos gain so much acclaim and others so little. And that seemed like a perfect example to me (though not, by a long shot, the most outrageous example on TE). But I am an idealist in an unfair world, so it's not surprising that I end up feeling this way. And, anyway, if I really looked into the matter carefully, I'm sure I would find it all has less to do with the quality of my photos and more about my personality. Or, well, that, at least, is yet another story I will tell myself and continue to believe. Best, -Hugh
Old 11-29-2007, 05:56 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Clairedelune: Overused words

I am a bit hesitant to respond to your critique.

???????????????????????????????????

-------------------------------------

Well... Won't be, Hugh...
You see ...We go thru our lives meeting people...
Among them, there are people you can't afford to miss...
For good or for bad...
You allow them for doing harm to you - they allow you to do some harm for them...
These are 'THE' people... The people for you…
Claire is an outstanding personality, an outstanding (one of the best on TE !) photographer, an outstanding critique writer...
How you can afford to miss someone like her ???
I’ll tell you even more:
The more you argue – the better for all of us…
How much you can learn just by reading the word exchange between two people of your format !!!!

Me & Francis.. We were fighting with Furachan like mad dogs…!!!
And I miss him A LOT !!!!
What a fight he could generate … !!! Mighty God !!!
How is it possible NOT to love someone like that !!!
I’m gonna miss him…

Claire ...

Don’t you EVER erase the word exchange with anyone… Again !!!
It’s better to get a knife, go to N.Y. and stab the baastard behind !!!!!!!
(:-)))))))))))))))))

(If you need a ride – I’m ready !!!!)

Don’t disappoint me… Both of you, guys !

Love
Old 11-29-2007, 05:59 PM
TE Expert

"just great. I like also the truck (hey! not sure it is, but it might be!) on the right part that seems to be slowly dismantling itself into parts.
"

slowly dismantling itself into parts.

Hugh !!!
How you can afford to miss the lines like that !!!!!

(:-))))))

Now... That's what I call: A panning technique !

Dismantling itself into parts !!

Old 11-29-2007, 07:13 PM
TE Senior Member

Yes, I liked that part of the critique especially and, in writing my long reply I forgot to mention that. Thank you, Claire, for the poetic turn of phrase. I appreciated it even though I forgot to mention it. Best to you both, -Hugh