Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Salil_B 2006-11-19 5:40

The man's eye is directed elsewhere (at you?) and the girl is immersed in the kiss eyes closed (it seems). An interesting situation. Unusual composition. But I am not sure I like the title.
Salil

Old 11-19-2006, 07:17 PM
TE Expert

Default To Salil_B: Eyes

Hi Salil,
I understand your concern about the title...it is a bit opaque, I admit, but see my response to Claire.
Thanks for the comment.
BTW, I will be in Kolkata/Chandannagar during the last week in December. Not sure what I will do, but at least one of those days I should be in your neighborhood. If you will be around perhaps we can go to that tea-shop you spoke about? I will call or email when I arrive on Dec 21 early morning from Nagpur. Our home number in Chandannagar is 33 2683 5918.
Regards,
Animesh
Old 11-20-2006, 05:06 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To Salil_B: Eyes

Dear Animesh,
It will be wonderful meeting you. How long would you be here in Calcutta?
Best day to visit that tea shop would be 22nd or 21st itself. We may be going on a family trip to the Sunderbans on 23rd evening, I think for 3/4 days.
Salil
Old 11-20-2006, 10:48 PM
TE Expert

Wow! Sunderbans! I wish I could go too...but probably can't due to the short visit. I had actually tried to get my sister-in-law's husband to arrange for just such a trip, but I think he was overruled by my sister-in-law who apparently would rather cook than visit the Sunderbans!!! What a let down!!!!! I will arrive in Howrarah from Nagpur by a train at 4AM , then to Chandannagar. Will try on Dec 22, but not sure. We will leave Kolkata on Dec 30, I think, or is it 31...
How does one go to the Sunderbans for only 3/4 of a day? Is there a ferry or something?
A
Old 11-20-2006, 11:30 PM
TE Expert

Oh I misread...3/4 days...that sounds more reasonable. Anyway, if I can make it on Dec 21 or 22 I will call or email. Actually, I thought I had your phone number but I cannot find it.
Animesh
Old 11-21-2006, 05:17 AM
TE Junior Member

My cellphone is 9831119877.
Salil
Old 11-21-2006, 05:27 AM
TE Junior Member

Atually, the whole trip is being arranged for our family by my sister and her husband. If you an get to Canning very early, you can hire small launches (noisy) from there and arrive by evening. You have to stay on the launches themselves (primitive) on the river. Next morning you can move towards the 'mohana' a little more and start back and get to Canning early or late evening. This is done every day in Winter by lots of people. Sunderbans at Christmas would be like 'Garer Math'. You can see a few crocs may be, and tiger pug marks. The weather would be great. If you want to see a tiger. You would have to make more elaborate arrangements - stay at the Tourist Lodge at Sajnekhali (Kumir Prakalpa) or Sudhannakhali, arrange a night on the Watchtower at Neta Dhopani's ghat or some such place. The best thing is to wrangle an arrangement with the Tiger project people. That's a long trip. And could prove dangerous.
Salil
Old 11-21-2006, 05:28 AM
TE Junior Member

Atually, the whole trip is being arranged for our family by my sister and her husband. If you an get to Canning very early, you can hire small launches (noisy) from there and arrive by evening. You have to stay on the launches themselves (primitive) on the river. Next morning you can move towards the 'mohana' a little more and start back and get to Canning early or late evening. This is done every day in Winter by lots of people. Sunderbans at Christmas would be like 'Garer Math'. You can see a few crocs may be, and tiger pug marks. The weather would be great. If you want to see a tiger. You would have to make more elaborate arrangements - stay at the Tourist Lodge at Sajnekhali (Kumir Prakalpa) or Sudhannakhali, arrange a night on the Watchtower at Neta Dhopani's ghat or some such place. The best thing is to wrangle an arrangement with the Tiger project people. That's a long trip. And could prove dangerous.
Salil
Old 11-23-2006, 10:54 PM
TE Expert

Thanks for the detail on Sunderbans approach.

There is obviously no opportunity this time, but I am toying with the idea of a sabbatical (for which I am due next year) during the monsoon season in India for 3 months. Don't know if it will materialize, I hope it does, and if so I might try to do that trip during the monsoon. I am less keen in watching tigers and crocs (I have seen them both and more in my early youth, on foot in rather precarious and fool-hardy conditions if I look back), and more on photographing people (fishermen and wood-collectors) of the area in the backdrop of tropical monsoon. I have missed the monsoon season, my most favorite, of Bengal since 1974. A pity. I miss nearly nothing else as sorely.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:56 AM
TE Junior Member

That would be a good eyedea.