Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-30-2006, 02:32 AM
TE Newbie

Default What Camera to Buy?

Hi I am looking to purchase a new camera. I have looked into it a little and while understanding a little about optical zoom, shutter speeds and resolution I am still a bit scared about making the purchase.

I am just starting out but would like to get right into photography. I have $1000 to spend. I'd like to be able to take panaoramic landscapes, moving shots of birds flying by and clear close ups and more.

Is there a camera in this price range that would allow me to create professional looking images?

What camera would be a great by for me around the $1000 range
Old 06-30-2006, 05:57 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: What Camera to Buy?

Just about every brand is coming out now with a sub-1000 DSLR, on which you can add any lens either from the same maufacturer, or from a third party like Sigma or Tamron, Tokina. I think the Canon REBEL XT (or named 350D in Europe) gets extremely good reviews everywhere, and it's rightly priced, less than 700$ now, which leaves you a few hundred to buy a lens that will deliver good pictures. Check the dpreview site if you have not done so already, every brand is well covered in their equipment reviews. Know that a good lens is very important to the final quality of the shot, most especially when it comes to be printed in large format, beyond that of an album photo. But the only lens that can have you catch birds flying and make a close-up, then a panorama, is a zoom, and very expensive, like 18-200mm. best to leave the birds flying for a while without catching them, and work on closer subjects, and in this case, you can also do landscapes at lower apertures. To stay within your budget strictly, and going Canon, you may want to think 18-55mm, or 28-105mm. They are unexpensive, but reliable, and will pay back easily in worthy images, until you want to up your game and optics, and spend a bit more. Also, you will need a software to work on your images, as few come out of the camera not needing a little something here or there, in terms of sharpness, contrast, tone and color. I am not sure anymore, but Canon used to deliver its 300D with "adobe Elements".

I hope this helps,

H
Old 06-30-2006, 08:56 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: What Camera to Buy?

mate thanks for that. this was great info. I actually have been considering the cannon 350D. You have opened up my eyes to the importance of lenses and I thank you for that.