Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good torben 2005-09-10 12:24

This landscape has a touch of the sublime with the barren ground, big sky and monumental lighthouse.
The way you placed the road in the frame is very good, the placement of the lighthouse is spot on too. A good composition with a strong mood.

So I like the image but the technical quality is less impressing. First of all the jpg-compression is much too hard, the texture of ground is transformed into coarse lumps of digital artefacts. The file size of this image is 48 kB and the allowed limit on this site is 200 kB, so you could have achieved a much better technical quality in the conversion to jpg.

The post-processing of the sky looks a bit too obvious, there is a strange shadow at the left side of the horizon and a white halo around the lighthouse, it looks like it was done by dodging and burning in a traditional darkroom technique, not the most precise of processes as far as I can remember from my darkroom experiences many years ago.

If it indeed is a traditional print I'd suggest doing a print with less darkroom tricks and then do the post-processing in Photoshop, a much more controllable process.

My tastes say that there should never be a title on the frame, but that is of course personal opinion.

To end on a positive note, I'll repeat that I love the distinctive composition and mood of this photo.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:59 AM
TE Newbie

Default To torben: lighthouse

You're right about everything but the sky. I don't remember doing anything to it. Thank you for taking the time. I sincerely appreciate it.