Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good Suppiluliuma 2010-12-13 0:18

Dear Peter,

I think your POV is great, giving a strong feeling of depth and a sense of the height of the fall. Thank you for your note: It is very detailed and very frank.

On the other hand, I felt like the shot was over-exposed a little. I tried to give an alternative as a workshop.

TFS.

Erdem

Old 12-15-2010, 02:31 AM
TE Senior Member

Default To Suppiluliuma: Exposure

Dear Erdem,
Thank you for your comment and thank you for taking the time to do a workshop on my image.
I have to disagree with you regarding the exposure, the shot is not over exposed. If you look at the greenery in the foreground and on camera right, where there is no fog, the exposure on those areas is correct in my opinion. I think for you to say the entire shot is over exposed doesn't take into account the effect the fog has on the rest of the shot.
In your workshop you have crushed the blacks on the entire shot, this has underexposed the greenery and created far too much contrast overall.
My intention with this image was to create a very "soft" feeling, sure I could have dropped the exposure just as you have done but to me this spoils the mood of the image and removes the mystery created by the foggy atmosphere.
There have been two other workshops done on this image, one of them was to really crush the blacks in the area surrounding the falls the other to place a black border around the image, both of these workshops along with the one you did, to me, don't take into account or give credit to what I was trying to achieve using the foggy atmosphere. Not everything has to be "lollipop" coloured or contrasty to be correct. Sometimes one has to reward a persons desire to be a little different.
But thank you again for taking the time to think about proposing improvements to the image. I notice from your intro page that you are not a prolific critique writer so I'm feeling very privileged that you have taken a positive interest in my image.
Very best wishes
Peter
Old 12-17-2010, 03:17 PM
TE Senior Member

Dear Peter,

I apologize for getting back to you late. Unfortunately, I'm still trying to adapt to the TE features, a lack of mail warnings for the new reply messages is one of them. :-)

I would like to underline something: My intention was not to underestimate your work at all. I write critiques to pictures which attract me, which tell me something interesting. And please note that, contrary to your impression, I try to see from other people's POV. That's not to say I'm always successful, but at least I give it a try.

Now that I look again at the workshop, I notice that the foggy look is partly gone. But again, my intention was to compensate for what I believed to be a difference of exposure between the trees in front and the falls in the bakcground. What I meant by the "little over-exposure" was that: It is a problem most photographers face, when they shoot an area with different light conditions. I understand new cameras such as Sony Alpha DSLR brings solutions to this problem by applying a technique similar to HDR, enlighting the dark areas. Since I don't have this feature, I attempt to solve this problem in my pictures thru gradual toning. This is what I did in your picture's workshop as well.

Finally, with all due respect, I may not be as prolific as you are in writing critiques, but I'm a member of TE for less than 5 months. I hope I'll be around for 3.5 years, during which I'll try to catch up. :-)

Kind regards,

Erdem
Old 12-17-2010, 07:57 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Exposure

Dear Erdem,

I'm sorry if my reply to your comment and workshop has offended you in any way, it was not my intention to do so. Sometimes I can be a little too blunt or come across as being arrogant. My comment about your profligacy in critique writing was not meant to be sarcastic, in fact quite the opposite, I do feel privileged when a member takes the time to offer constructive comments on my images. There is far too little of this interaction on TE lately. You may notice I too haven't been too prolific nowadays either in the critiquing department, but that is another story. Sincerely, I really do appreciate any discussion on my posted images.
So I hope you will accept my apology.

Now back to the photograph. You might be interested to read THIS REPLY I wrote to Nelu regarding the image, he too agrees with you that the image could be approached differently.

I guess, in the end, it all boils down to what one is trying to achieve, photography is such a subjective medium it isn't possible to meet all expectations.

Please be assured I meant no offence, let's hope that in the future you do get to be Prolific with your comment writing and the two of us can have many further spirited discussions on photography.

Very best wishes
Peter
Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 AM
TE Senior Member

Dear Peter,

I appreciate your very kind and considerate reply. Thank you very much also for the fav.

I agree with you: Talking on the pictures, analysing and critiquing are the essence of pleasure for me in frequenting this site, and I'm sure we'll have a lot to share in the future as well. :-)

Sincerely,

Erdem