Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2021-11-19 5:30

Hello Mariusz,
Not that I'm really looking forward to a tour with a coach, but when I read your note, I wondered what is so dangerous or special in the national park that you're not allowed to leave the car.
Your photo here is very well taken. I like the composition with both diagonal lines of the rows of camels.
At first I thought it was one row of camels making a loop.
Perhaps a lot more comfortable that the riders do not sit directly on the hump of the dromedary.
I spot a few plants in this arid landscape.
Some will surely have enjoyed this kind of visit to the national park/parking spot.
Still, I feel a little sorry for these visitors.
Another day with beautiful sunny weather on Lanzarote!
Best regards, Paul

Old 11-19-2021, 12:58 PM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: damage to the environment?

Hi Paul,
Similarly to the national park in Poland, I suppose the reason is that there may be some fragile flora and fauna which may be damaged by tourists.
I did respect that as I did in Poland.
However, sometimes the prohibition goes too far indeed.
For example on Hawaiian Maui, there is a very similar landscape, if not more beautiful, and people are freely allowed to hike there. As a result, nobody is actually interested in doing it because it is a long and tough hike. So when I did that hike on Maui we met for the whole day just two people or so.
There were crowds at the visitor centre even for the sunrise but after sunrise they all went back to the beach. So I suppose here it would be the same.
In fact when I mentioned that to my Spanish friends they told me about La Palma where the volcanic landscapes are equally beautiful and you can hike there but nobody really does it with exception of few viewpoints reachable by car.

Obviously that advise about La Palma was few years ago before the eruption and that is why I visited that island already...
Kind regards,
M
Old 11-19-2021, 03:49 PM
TE Expert

Thank you Mariusz,

Places or islands that attract a lot of tourists must of course be extra careful to protect their nature.

Does that protection apply in many places on Lanzarote?
Hopefully the visitors will know this in advance or they will find out on the spot that many of their plans cannot be carried out.

Strange that there are other places in the world where you are allowed to walk without restrictions and where only a few people actually do so.
Unless it's always on and around hard-to-reach viewpoints. There are tourists who like to travel by car and hardly want to get out of it.

Kind regards,
Paul