Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2022-01-15 13:15

Hello Kasia,

For sure a very colourful main picture here.
Did these men call themselves sadhu? Or does that have nothing to do with it?
Near the temple of Pashupatinath in Kathmandu I also saw a lot of these colourfully dressed and painted men. They claimed to be sadhus but according to other Nepalese people I met in the temple there are real and fake sadhus...
One I met asked 50 $ for a picture. I just smiled and left.

Funny story about that guy who lived in Switserland.
Another day in Nepal a taxi driver offered me a tour of several places. His asking price was not too high and I decided to travel around the easy way. Just for once.
During the trip he asked me where I came from and then he said he had visited Belgium. I thought it was a joke to appear more sympathetic. In some places, the locals learn a few things about a foreign country from which tourists come and thus they gain trust.

But he knew quite a bit about Belgium and then he decided to show pictures.
So he took his smartphone and showed me pictures of places in Europe where he had been. I recognized different places in Belgium where he and his wife posed in front of well-known buildings and monuments. He had similar pictures of other European countries.
It seemed unlikely that all those photos would have been faked. Moreover, he was able to tell something about all those places that was correct as far as I could check.

So there I was sitting in a Nepalese taxi with a Nepali who drove me around at the fare of a third world country while he had been as a tourist to so many places in Europe.
In the evening I told my hotel boss (a budget hotel) that I had met a taxi driver who had been to Belgium, whereupon that man said that he was going on a trip to Rome soon ...
How could these people afford that given what an overnight stay in a budget hotel and a taxi ride in an old car cost?
Some of the secrets of South Asia...
In that sense, those were my only two experiences.

Best regards, Paul

Old 01-15-2022, 08:33 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To PaulVDV: Poor rich men

Hi Paul
Thanks for sharing this interesting story! Ramesh, my Nepali friend, used to study in Cyprus. His cousin used to work in Australia (that's how he was able to afford a motorbike and start a family business, as well as help his father build a new house after the old one had collapsed in the 2015 earthquake). But Nepali people going to Europe for holidays is a new thing to me!
Yes, I think they are sadhus or, more precisely, fake sadhus. I wrote about one of my encounters with, what I think may have been, a real one here:
https://www.trekearth.com/viewphotos.php?l=7&p=1533973
Have a nice Sunday
Kasia