Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2021-12-02 1:30

Hello Paul,
From all these photos I get an impression of this largely unknown town as an attractive and even cosy town, but maybe it's all because of the atmosphere created by the lights shining in the blue hour. The colours turned out well and the main photo shows an attractive play of light and shady areas. But does the darkness hide poverty and decay?
I remember the shocked amazement I felt going by bus through Kumanovo, the first town after I had crossed the border from Serbia. I had of course seen much worse places in Asia and Africa, but hardly such squalor anywhere in Europe. Not even Moldova a few years later was as bad as that.
Best regards,
Gert

Old 12-02-2021, 11:55 AM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Poverty

Thank you Gert,

Kratovo was the poorest town in North Macedonia that I've visited.
You will also effectively find houses there in the nature of the ones shown by Krzysztof or Pavle from their country.

I cannot remember Kumanovo. I travelled in the reverse direction from North Macedonia to Serbia but also by bus. I honestly don't remember if the bus had a stop in Kumanova or just drove around it ...
In any case, I did not visit that town but I was in several others in the country.

On the same journey I was in another even poorer place in Serbia.
The latter country, I believe, was the European country with the greatest differences in development between different places. Also the greatest cultural differences between the inhabitants of different places.
And I'm talking about the country's own people, not recent entrants.

Kind regards,
Paul