Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good Debobec 2004-03-27 23:35

j'aime bien la composition. La ligne d'horizon est parfaite. Ne manquait (le hasard est difficile) qu'une présence sur l'eau. L'immensité du site est très bien rendue. Vous étiez sur l'eau ? :)

Old 03-24-2004, 06:05 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To DaveLarson: About Post Processing

Hi Dave. Yes, this shot is post processed, as are pretty much all of my shots to one degree or another. Even if you have a perfect photo at full size, you will have ot adjust curves and do some sharpening once you resize for the web. This shot here has been selectively sharpened, to emphasize the lines on his face. Pretty much only his face and beard have been sharpened. Maciek commented it was oversharpened and he is probably right, but I often oversharpen the face for older men, so it is not unintentional. I have also adjusted curves, levels and done some contrast masking here. You can read about much of what I do from forums I have written in the tips and technics forum. I think the most important ideas to consider are selective sharpening, contrast masking and curves in general. I would also suggest you have a look at Luminous Landscapes</A> under their tutorials to get some ideas. I believe one of their tutorials is called Instant Photoshop, and another is called Contrast Masking. Both of these are well worth checking out and I think quite applicable to Paint Shop Pro as well. Another good site is <a href="http://www.russellbrown.com">Russell Brown's site. He has videos you can download, that is where I learned the selective sharpening technique.....he calls it painting with sharpen or something like that. Especially for someone who scans film (like me), post processing is completely necessary. Good post processing knowledge, done with a light hand can make photos look so much better.

Take care Dave, I will have that photo done for you tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:43 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To DaveLarson: About Post Processing

Thanks, Darren. Very helpful. I am certainly learning from you and others on TE that there is a lot more than to photography than just taking the shot.

Dave
Old 03-24-2004, 07:07 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Dave. Yes, there is more to photography than simply taking the shot. It has been that way for a very long time, Photoshop is just another way to work on the final product. Ansel Adams is quite famous for the amount of time he put into tweaking his photos before exhibiting them. Photoshop is an extension of what has been done in the wet darkroom for a very long time.

All that being said, taking the shot is what really counts. GIGO (garbage in = garbage out) is the rule of thumb when it comes to any photo. Or to put it more simply: You can't polish a turd.

Take care Dave.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:35 PM
TE Newbie

Hi, Darren. My laptop died earlier this week (defective motherboard), and I have only just now rejoined CyberSpace. Furthermore, my account on my new server went over quota, resulting in bouncebacks. I appreciate your offer earlier to help me with my D.R. photo size problem (the lessons of which I'll then be able to apply to many others as well). If you tried to send such and got a bounceback, could u pls resend? Thanks.

Dave