Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emka 2021-07-03 0:47

Hi Paul, Interesting to compare your impressions with the Gert's from more than forty years ago. This story about looking for the elevator reminds me of how I wanted to climb the minaret in Bukhara. I saw some photos from the top on Internet but I couldn't find the entrance.
I see that the "candles" here are similar to the minarets outside. But after the gorgeous exterior, this view of the interior is disappointing. The mosques in Abu Dhabi, Oman or Astana were much more beautiful and grandiose.
Interesting presentation.
Have a nice weekend
Malgo

Old 07-03-2021, 11:57 AM
TE Expert

Default To emka: Interior and money

Thank you Malgo,

I can imagine that you won't find the interiors of mosques in Brunei as luxurious as in the Emirates.

There is money in Brunei but not as much as in the Emirates.
Moreover, the construction of the Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque in Brunei predates the time when large amounts of money started coming in.

Have you ever seen anything luxurious in the Emirates or Saudi Arabia that predates the money boom from the 1970s???
Maybe you did, but I'd like to know.

Kind regards,
Paul
Old 07-03-2021, 04:26 PM
TE Expert

Hi Paul, I love visiting mosques and there are only a few of the most beautiful mosques in the world that I haven't seen. So it is difficult to impress me. Of course, I would like to see this one too.
I have seen some photos of the palace of the sultan of Brunei, and t5he exterior views of this Ali Saifuddien and I imagined that all is luxurious in Brunei. But I wasn't there and probably this mental image is false.
I have seen in museums the views from the Emirates from the seventies and it was mainly desert. Now we observe a lot of money - everything must be "the most ..". As to Saudi Arabia, I couldn't go to Mekka nor Medina. After Dubai or even Baku, I imagined impressive luxury. But there was nothing spectacular
in Riyadh.
I remember that in Morocco and probably also in Tunisia it was not allowed to enter mosques for non-Muslim. In other countries, there was no problem even for a woman.

Have a nice Sunday

MAlgo

Have a nice Sunday