Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great greentara 2009-08-02 13:06

The composition and colours of this photo are beautiful. I must say I am surprised to see someone openly wearing a locket with a picture of the Dalai Lama on it in Chinese occupied Tibet, where he is hated and banned by the government. From the clothing I take this person to be a Tibetan nun.

A striking photograph.

Thank you, Joan

Old 08-04-2009, 09:04 PM
TE Newbie

Default To greentara: Photo

Hi Joan
Thanks for your comments. You're quite right when you say that the Dalai isn't appreciated by Chinese government. It however seems that the local government's reaction to photos of the Dalai varies depending on which area you are. In southern Qinghai we saw a few people with his picture around their neck (even if t's a discreat photo, you generally manage recognize him with his big glasses). In some temples in the main hall we would find photos of the Dalai just under Bouddha's statue. Southern Qinghai experienced little or no uprising last year. On the contrary in Sichuan next to the tibetan border, where uprising was more violent, it seems that there's no such tolerance. By talking with some locals we were told that police controls were very strict on this matter and that such pictures would be immediately confiscated / destroyed. In Ganzi, we saw some of his photos in temples but not individual photo but always in a group photo with 2 other saint people.
The photo taken here isn't one of a nun, just an old pilgrim even if her cloathes look like those of a nun
Warren