Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-10-2007, 05:57 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: ND grad filters vs. Photoshop?

Hi Bob
Both thecnics are valuable
Being awful with photoshop, I prefer getting the photography right "in camera" and tend to use the NDgrad whenever necessary.But, there are situations where the NDgrad is useless, when the horizon is not straight, then the HDR tool comes handy. So, it is a case where the use of both are necessary.
Personaly. I prefer the look from the NDgrad.

Hope this help
Ccharles
Old 11-29-2007, 11:02 PM
TE Newbie

I also use Lee filters. In PS, it is very simple:
- duplicate layer
- change "normal" overlay to "multiply"
- click on layer mask icon
- get the gradiant tool
- make sure the colour black is selected and draw your transition.
done
Old 11-30-2007, 11:23 AM
TE Newbie

Where can buy Lee Filters in Europe and can i use the filter of Lee Filters on the Cokin P holder system ? Its true that i also find a color dominant in cokin filter and i would try the Lee Filters system .
Old 11-30-2007, 10:22 PM
TE Expert

No Lee filters don't fit the Cokin system but Hi-tech do. My Cokin used to give a magenta cast too.
Kath
Old 12-01-2007, 02:20 PM
TE Junior Member

Bob -

I believe the old adage "... make it right in the camera..." or "...do it right the first time..." is the best course of action. You will spend more time in front of the computer by ignoring the old rules. Yes, it is pain to carry around the filters but when you need them they are some of the best tools around to control contrast. There have been times on my past trip that I left the filters in the car or in the hotel and regret the oversight today as I review the images. PP'ing something that should have been done in the field is a pain in the butt!

John
Old 12-01-2007, 09:02 PM
TE Expert

As long the exposure value is in the limit of RAW capacity (not burned parts and not black part) there is no difference between filter and PP). Most of time it's not possible to process with PP because some parts are destroyed. In this case the filter is required. However you see that too late. So the best way is a good exposure at shoot level. The ND filter can help in this way.
Cheers
JP
Old 12-04-2007, 03:52 PM
TE Expert

When i do landscapes (almost never) i use LEE ND filters ... they are really good. I like to do it in camera rather than waste hours in photoshop.

I do saw the webpage of William Neil and i'm sorry to say but i'm not that impressed. I just saw the "Yosemite" folio and the images look overprocessed to me. There are much better around with clear crispy photos. Maybe i'm beeing fooled by the small resolution image displayed in the side ... but even so ...

Nevertheless you should do whatever you feel confortable with