Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great jean113 2021-09-16 9:02

Hello Gert, for a scanned picture the quality is exceptional.
Excellent point of view. I have never seen pillars quite like these before, each one having different designs.
The light is managed really well.
I like the presence of the people.
The colourful pictures and patterns on the ceiling are beautiful. Are they painted on wood?
Thanks for sharing, kind regards, Jean.

Old 09-16-2021, 04:36 PM
TE Expert

Default To jean113: wood or stone?

Thank you Jean,
I'm not really sure of the material of the ceilings but I would suppose they are made of the same stone as everything else here. I just found an interesting information that all these paintings, including the hundreds of painted statues, are repaired and restored every 12 years. I had been puzzled by the fact that more recent photos, including some on TE, are so much brighter. I couldn't recognize anything and was wondering if I could possibly have missed large parts of the temple. Obviously I saw everything, but at least the area in this photo was clearly getting ready for its regular restoration.
Regards,
Gert
Old 09-16-2021, 07:23 PM
TE Expert

Hi Jean and Gert,

I also think the ceiling is made of stone.

As for the pictures of the temple that are looking so bright:
I suspect that it always concerns parts of the temple where sufficient light shone from outside.
Like in my photo I was able to take from outside the fence:
https://www.trekearth.com/viewphotos.php?l=7&p=1572318

It is of course not impossible to miss a part of the large temple. There are even some parts that are only accessible to Hindus.
But I have the same experience as Gert.
Sometimes it was terribly dark in the temple. So obscure that I found it less bad that I could not bring a camera.

Kind regards,
Paul