Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 02:41 PM
TE Newbie

Question group help

I am a newbee and would like some help figuring out the groups and themes - so I have some questions.

How do you find an appropriate group? The only way I see is to go through the list from the "groups" tab. Is that list searchable?

How do you join a group that looks good? Are some groups by invitation only or just one user's collections of Trekearth photos?

How do you start a group where everyone can participate?

What is the difference between a Group and a Theme?

Maybe this information is available somewhere already that I haven't found yet.

Thanks ......... Dave
Old 09-05-2010, 08:49 PM
TE Expert

Default group help

Hello Dave,

Here groups works in a different way than in other sites.
They are meant mainly to keep notice in a easy way of the photos posted by people you like or that you may be interested in, so actually it's a sort of favourite list.

"How do you find an appropriate group?"

you cannot find an appropriate group, it's the "group which finds you! (:-)
I'm joking of course!

The problem is that you cannot apply to be part of a group but only be selected by other members to be included in their groups if they wish so.

Things work this way: First one decides to create a group for whatever purpose he/she likes then one adds members to it. The procedure is the following:

1) go to your profile page
2) in the second line just below the various sections (Overview, Photos, etc) you will find "Groups profile". Click there.
3) A page is open where you can create your group.
4) Once you have created your own group (private or public) you can start to add members to this group in this way:
5) Go to the intro page of the member you want to include in your group, just under the photo of the member you'll see: "add to my list", click there,
a page is open where you can choose either your private group or a already existing public group (this last list is very long).
finally click the "add to group" button and that member will be added.

From that moment, if the group is public, the name of the chosen group will appear in the intro page of the member. If you choose "private" it will appear only to you in the menu: Community/my groups.

I hope this is clear... (:-)

Donato

Last edited by Longroute; 09-06-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:13 AM
TE Newbie

Default Group vs. Group Theme

OK, thanks, Donato for your excellent help here.
I have misinterpreted what a "group" is .... it is more a grouping of all the photos from the listed photographers. Not related to a subject or location.
I think I get it.
But just to clear some things up:
I made a new group called "Mexico's West Coast" where and I added another member and then all of my photos and all of his photos were in that group. I deleted the new group. So it not a matter of selecting individual photos for the group (as with a "theme") but rather taking everything that the members produce... correct?

Is there a limit to the number of photos in the group, so it keeps changing?
I guess what happens after a while with several members, you get new photos in the group as the members add them - that's could be interesting. Its interesting also that there is no permission required to add a member.

I may not be the only one that is a little confused:
The "ANIMALS" group (there are no animals.)
http://www.trekearth.com/lists.php?l...4&ttype=photos
"Libraries" group - cbutler1467's entire collection of photos? including 1 library.
http://www.trekearth.com/lists.php?l...hotos&offset=1

So........ If I want to make a public group about a subject or location, I create my own "group theme" and add other members photos to it .... correct? But can they also add photos to that group theme? If so - that's cool. I just wonder how other members know my theme exists.

Any comments are appreciated.

- Dave
Old 09-09-2010, 09:39 AM
TE Expert

Thumbs up Groups

Hi Dave,

"So it not a matter of selecting individual photos for the group (as with a "theme") but rather taking everything that the members produce... correct?"

Correct!

"Is there a limit to the number of photos in the group, so it keeps changing?"

I don't think so. But there is a limit of 50 for the added members in your private group.

"I guess what happens after a while with several members, you get new photos in the group as the members add them ."

Exactly.

"I may not be the only one that is a little confused:
The "ANIMALS" group (there are no animals.)
http://www.trekearth.com/lists.php?l...4&ttype=photos"

Ah! I didn't know that! Maybe the animals refers to the members???

Well TE is a bit irrational sometimes, both on the part of the programmers and that of the members...

"So........ If I want to make a public group about a subject or location, I create my own "group theme" and add other members photos to it .... correct?"

Correct.

"But can they also add photos to that group theme?"

Yes, of course if that is a public group. I've done it myself.

"I just wonder how other members know my theme exists."

By word of mouth. Or you can announce it in the forum so that other member will join.
In this respect TE is like any other photographic site: very few will notice your photos unless you make yourself known by voting other people photos. Slowly you'll find people who share your own tastes about photography and so appreciate your photos in the same way you appreciate theirs, and so this will end up in building a kind of community where we all know each others. TE has a huge number of registered members but actually the active members (i.e. the ones who comments photo daily or so) are not so many and after some months you'll get to know them.

Good luck,
Donato
Old 09-09-2010, 08:23 PM
TE Newbie

Default OK .... I'm ready to go!

Great!, Donato - lots of good information here.

I will be more active in expanding my "Westcoast Mexico" theme and also look at starting a photographers' group for Canadian snowbirds and Mexicans. It makes sense that the more I participate the more members are going to have a look at my stuff.

My suggestion is to have this information - the "definitions" of groups and group themes - put into a new category on the Guidelines page here:
http://www.trekearth.com/guidelines.php
This is a great place to look for a newbee .... maybe it could go a little further.

Now to tackle what the "Workshops" are all about. I will poke around and try some things before I start another thread.

Bottom line - TE is full of excellent photography being passed around - so its working!

Thanks for your help ........ Dave
Old 09-10-2010, 11:43 AM
TE Expert

Default My suggestion

Hi Dave,

"My suggestion is to have this information - the "definitions" of groups and group themes - put into a new category on the Guidelines page here:
http://www.trekearth.com/guidelines.php"

I perfectly agree with you about that, but I'm not the person in charge and I cannot do anything. I think that title "TE expert" might have mislead you, I'm just a normal member like you, only they decide to call someone "TE expert" when you are here since long time and have written a certain amount of posts.

The right person to apply is Miss Steph Gerber (IBsteph) who is the administrator of this site and who is a IB staff member
(http://www.trekearth.com/members/IBsteph/)

she started a thread in the general forum few days ago where you could post your complaints, suggestions, enquiries, but I could not find it now.
any way you can always send a message to her in her intro page or post your suggestion in the forum.

Workshops: I had forgotten to answer to that question of yours.
They are meant mainly for showing how you can improve a photo, but it's allowed also to use this page to post a complementary photo to the main one or a photo which goes against the TOS (terms of service) i.e. a photo of you or of your friends which of course is forbidden in the main page.

(As soon as I have more time I'll have a look at your themes)

Best regards,
Donato
Old 09-12-2010, 03:01 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks Donato.
I will let Steph know about our discussion here.
- Dave