Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emka 2021-10-21 10:04

Hello Paul, It looks very attractive with the metal wave. I wanted to see the fountain in Google, but it was covered with something. The big building doesn't look like the theatre. I remember that one can travel by train everywhere in Belgium very cheap. I used it extensively. :). On my map in TE Belgium is quite yellow. I suppose that I was also in the white patch but I didn't post the photo. Do you know Mons? I liked it there. Another interesting place I have visited is Villers-la Ville - the ruined abbey. Quite few people from TE went there.

Best regards MAlgo

Old 10-21-2021, 06:21 PM
TE Expert

Default To emka: Various

Thank you Malgo,

A full view of the fountain and the square can be found on this site:
https://mapio.net/pic/p-92308535/
However, a photo taken from a distance.

There are only two Belgian provinces that are not coloured yellow on your map, namely Limburg in Flanders and Luxembourg in Wallonia.
Perhaps coincidentally two provinces with a less intensive rail network.

So far I've never been to Mons.
There are more places in Belgium where I haven't been yet

A very long time ago I visited Villers-la-Ville.
This small place is only known for the ruins of the abbey. But these ruins are really beautiful.
How did you actually get there? I think you can also go there by train and walk a bit.

Kind regards,
Paul
Old 10-22-2021, 06:55 AM
TE Expert

I have no photos from the Luxembourg province, but I was there too, in Arlon, on the way to Luxembourg City. My Belgian map is more yellow than yours, and you can't change it because it is not possible to add anything anymore, haha.
I went to Villers-la-Ville by train, it is not far from the station to the abbey. It is a beautiful place and I was alone in the whole area. And I imagine how it looks like in autumn.

Have a nice day

MAlgo
Old 10-22-2021, 08:10 AM
TE Expert

Hi Malgo,

I've been in all Belgian provinces but of course not in all places. Not even in all the interesting ones.
Indeed I won't be able to change my TE-map anymore

Remarkable that you were in Arlon.
I think it is the least interesting provincial capital in the whole country.
Frankly, I don't know anyone where I live who has ever visited Arlon. Did you find your visit there interesting?

Kind regards,
Paul
Old 10-22-2021, 09:52 AM
TE Expert

Haha, I had to change my train there. Till Arlon, my Belgian senior ticket was valid, there I had to buy the ticket to Luxembourg City. And the same on return. I made a short walk there. Nothing especially interesting. Not to show on TE. But see here:
https://www.trekearth.com/workshops/...hoto226215.htm

https://www.trekearth.com/workshops/...hoto226214.htm

So, now you know the only person who visited Arlon .

Have a nice day

Malgo
Old 10-22-2021, 10:39 PM
TE Expert

Hi Malgo,

It's strange that you had to change the train because of your ticket.
I understand that the international ticket cannot be taken with the senior discount. But normally you should have already been able to buy your Arlon-Luxembourg ticket in Brussels (or in another station) so that you didn't have to get off the train.

Maybe you absolutely wanted to spend some time in Arlon

I think for a very long time you will be the only person I know who has been to Arlon

All the best!
Paul
Old 10-23-2021, 08:36 PM
TE Expert

Talking

I do not remember if I could buy tickets in Brussels for Arlon-Luxembourg-Arlon. In Belgium, I bought tickets in the automate (it was 6 euro, so just 3x2 euro) Now 7.20. Arlon-L. 3 euro. Now Brussels-Luxembourg 21.50 ONE WAY. But from Arlon, I didn't go to Brussels but to Mechelen, and after seeing this very interesting town to Brussels. ( 12 +6 for all those travels), So, I save quite a lot of money being over 65 and travelling smart. And what fun to be somewhere when no one was
By the way, Brussels was the only place in the world where they told me I was too old for a hostel .
Have a nice Sunday
Old 10-24-2021, 01:48 PM
TE Expert

Crazy people in the Brussels hostel !
They still have a lot to learn.

As a person over 65 you can cross Belgium very cheaply by train, regardless of the distance.
As a 65+ you indeed only pay 7.20, back and forth.

The sad thing is that with a senior ticket you have to return the same day.
When you go back the next day, you have to buy a new ticket. So in total: 14.40 .

Senior tickets are never valid for a trip there and back on different days.
Just as the hostel in Brussels has a strange idea about seniors, the Belgian railway company thinks the elderly are too old to stay overnight.