Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-09-2007, 07:34 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Nikons for sale

Hi everybody,

I am selling my Nikon gear:
Nikon D2X (with 2 extra batteries)
Nikon D200 (with vertical grip and extra battery)
Nikon FM2n (black)
Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 ED
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR ED
Nikon 1.4X teleconverter
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Nikon SB 800 flash (x2)- plus the grids I made for them!
Nikon SB 600 flash
Nikon SU 800 (the master unit for wireless flash)

All the equipment is in excellent condition, most of it includes the original packaging. I am changing brands so I can use some faster prime lenses, all this equipment works great and has never let me down. PM me for prices and/or questions.

Thanks,

Narayan
Old 10-09-2007, 08:02 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Nikons for sale

Another refugee to Canon red house... ;))))
Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 PM
TE Senior Member

yes, the 24mm f/1.4 is too nice to turn away from.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:09 AM
TE Expert

Default Ah yes- we have another convert.

Welcome to Canon....
;-)

- Dan
Old 10-10-2007, 02:01 AM
TE Expert

It's funny timing for the switch, Narayan - I mean just before Nikon's historic Blitzkrieg with the fabulous twins: D300/D3. Says something about the pull of the Red House as Luko says ;o)
I assume you're thinking "5D" to go with that 24L - thing is prices on 5Ds are not THAT cheap yet and the Greater One is just around the corner (well a half a year or so)... Lots to think about. I'm doing with a 40D (lean, fast beast) until the great unveiling of the 7D or whatever.
Uh, welcome to the C-Club...
Old 10-10-2007, 03:38 AM
TE Senior Member

Default testing the D3

Actually, Francis, I just spent the weekend getting intimate with the D3 and the new 24-70mm. it is about more than all the Canon v. Nikon malarky... it's about wanting quality prime lenses that are fast, and a good prime needs to be full frame. I had the question of whether to get one 1DS Mark II or 2 5Ds... so I went with the 5Ds. here is what I have to say about my weekend with the Nikon D3. I would consider getting the D3 if Nikon had faster prime lenses and if the D3 was less money... but I can have s 5Ds for less money, so there you have it. So much of this change has to do with wanting to go back to prime lenses... swapping my Nikon Zooms for my Nike Zooms. I think it is one of the best ways to force myself to see differently and not fall into the zoom photography rut.

The Nikon D3-

I liked how the camera felt in the hand, it is very similar to the D2X. I had to stop using the 51 focus points and changed it over to 11 point focus because 51 is just too many and takes too long… making manual focus a lot quicker. But, 51 spot metering points is pretty nice. I used the D3 on auto white balance but feel that it comes out too cool. I didn’t shoot enough low light to really need to test the limits of the high ISO, but I did play around with it a little bit and the noise at 3200 is about the same the noise at 800 on the D2X, so that is a big plus. I shot it high speed (9 frames on full frame, large JPG fine) just to play and it seemed like there is a slight pause with the last couple frames… somelike this: blat blat blat blat blat blat blat… blat blat.

Another thing is the metering. I shot on Aperture priority and it was over exposing. On my D2X I also use Aperture priority and normally have it -.3 under exposed. On the D3 I went as far as -1.7 and for much of the shoot I kept it at -1. If it was at 0 it was over exposed for sure.

The D3 uses the same battery as the D2X but it seemed like the D3 drains the battery quicker (but by no means in a D1X kind of way), but at the end of the second day I was at about 50% of the battery. On the D2X it seems to last for about a week.

Hmmm… the big LCD screen was pretty nice. They changed the way you zoom in and out of the screen, though. Not having that very bottom button to go back to normal view, you now have to use the shutter speed dial to go zoom back out to normal view/info screen.

I found the new 24-70mm lens to be beautiful and sharp and had no complaints about that.

Anyways, I put some photos up on my photoshelter account so show some samples from the D3. All but 2 of the photos are from the D3 (the 2nd and 3rd photos are from a D2X).

https://www.photoshelter.com/gallery-show/G0000neA3pvueeVc

hope some of that is useful… i’m by no means a review writer.

Narayan
Old 10-10-2007, 03:40 AM
TE Expert

Narayan, i think you are making a wrong decision, if i were you i would sell the D2x and D200 bodies only and get a D3 in November instead. I think D3 is the best camera in the noise department than any camera right now and sealing is much better in those D2-3 series than any Canon.. but maybe you have some other considerations..?! (if they had this D3 a year ago, i would never sell my Nikon gear for instance ;)

canon and nikon are all same stuff now i think, differences are trivial.

think twice, good luck.
best.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:55 AM
TE Senior Member

Hi Evren,

Yeah, the sealing is a big deal, this is very true. But look at it like this, 3200 iso at 1.4 is going to be 4 stops faster than 800 iso at 2.8 (the fastest nikon lenses and the highest acceptable ISO)... so for the Nikon D3, to get 4 stops more I would need to be at 12800 iso and f/2.8.... this is a big compromise... and ISO 12800 on the D3 isn't as clean as 3200 on the 5D. I think 6400 on the D3 and 3200 on the 5D are comparable. I spent a weekend shooting with the D3... and while I love how it feels in my hand and how sterdy and strong the camera is and the high ISOs, I would rather be able to use faster lenses than higher ISOs. I am going to all prime lenses, 24 f1.4, 35 f2, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8 and 135 f2. I have been thinking this through for quite some time.

narayan
Old 10-10-2007, 04:33 AM
TE Expert

There you go, man - follow your muse. The 5D (in my experience) is a "poetic" camera capable of truly moving, emotional results (not far removed from what Evren can pull outta his M8). And with the 24 f1.4, you are deep in intimate, lyrical territory. The resulting reportage willMOVE people, my friend, much quicker than drier, harsher output from Nikon (again just a very subjective statement). 24L, 35L these lenses can make you CRY!
5D's only real drawbacks (aside from not being weatherproof) is the laggardness of the AF in relation to shutter release - drove me NUTS but looking back I fear I was impatient and didn't really try all the settings I should have.
You are doing the right thing for you, man, and that's what counts. You're a Pro now (as good as) and we are all behind you, all the old farts for whom it's too late, ha! Living vicariously through you.
Welcome to the besieged Red House of Canon, brother...
Old 10-10-2007, 05:25 AM
TE Expert

cannot follow your logic Narayan, sorry... who says that 2.8 is the fastest for a Nikons? what about AF Nikon 28mm f/1.4 or AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4? these are legendary lenses as primes! if you ask me, i would dream to have 28 f/1.4 lens on a D3 body! nothing can beat these couples imho.

if you are going to do journalist work (which is what you do at the moment i think) i dont think its a good idea to go primes, i would still stick to good zooms if i were you (the ones you have -as you know very well- are the best for that.. for D3, i would sell the 17-55 DX and get the new 24-70 one of course)..

Canon: 24 1.4: a good lens Narayan, but quite soft at wide open.. so its not as versatile as you think, i would buy 35 1.4 instead which is a dream lens.

35 f/2: crap lens, small but noisy.. dont buy it, not comparible to 35 1.4 in any way.

the rest three are very good lenses. (i have used all of these lenses btw, so please ignore my arrogance for this matter, Roflol!!) 135f2 is probably the best among them, but its huge, so i warn you! ;)

still i would go for zoom as a journalist, primes (regardless of image quality of course) are the way for hobbiest like me imho.. ;) i would go for 16-36L f/2.8 and 28-70L f/2.8 for Canon line..

take care,
Evren