Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great jplebrun 2007-09-10 12:41

Bonjour André
belle composition de ces deux goélands au dessus du parc, beau jeu d'ombre et de lumière dans cette journée naissante, beau travail, ;)
Salutations
Jean-Pierre

Old 09-13-2007, 02:31 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To Paolo: by car

Hi Paolo,

600 miles by car with two little girls .. a good way to completely reprogram your brain .. I usually like to do it starting well before dawn so that I can drive a bunch of hours with sleeping children .. but I was just too tired.

One thing about the West is that populations are sparse and places are far apart. Natives always find humor in tourists who just quite haven't grasped the size of the Western states .. it is there on the maps but still it can take time to compute .. So people often come out here with sight seeing plans that are pretty impossible. My brother thinks it is the physical size of our maps .. that we get used to the scale of the maps from our region .. when he ends up in Europe he finds he has to keep rethinking the distances.

I think you are right about the stop sign ..

thanks for the thoughts.

take care,

John
Old 09-13-2007, 03:54 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Paolo: by car

yes, i'm agree, when i visited British Columbia and the Atlantic coast of Usa and Canada i used the car....a real nightmare...so many dozens of hours spent in a car...
there in Europe when we must go from p.e. Milan to Roma or from Milan to Paris, both less than 400 miles, we use the plane. If there's the possibility to don't use the car...ok...it's my way. train, ferries or ariplanes...but not car or coach!
no thanks!
When i was youn, in the end of the 80's as many Italian tourist i did the classical tour of southern Europe, by car, from Milan to Lisbon, 1.500/1.600 miles one way!
jumping from Milan to Barcelona, Barcelona to Madrid, Madrid to San Sebastian, then, right south to Valencia, then Sevilla, then Lisbon, the Oporto, bacck to Madrid, then, Irun and Pamplona, France, Marseille, Nice and back in Milan.
One month by car, more than 3.000 miles...Jesus...i did it that two consecutive summer...never more. never more!
Fortunally we have for the teen agers and the young guys the Inter-rail, an agreement between the Railways of the whole Europe that from the end of the 70's for the guys under 25 or 26 years old, give a Visit Europe Pass, that when i did it in the mid 80's i payied not more than 400 Dollars of today valid for 3 months.
Train is another world, running from Milan to North Cape in Norway, then south in Hamburg, Berlin and East Berlin, Prague and the other Country of the Warsaw Pact, then Wien, Munic, Amsterdam, Paris, London, back in Lyon...so simple, go to the first train station and jump over the first train in departure...20 hours and we crossed the whole Europe, 3000 kms north to south!
fantastic!