Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great krzychu30 2014-03-02 7:09

Hello Arnie,
the color of the water is simply amazing!So clear and so beautifully blue.
Nice capture from this beautiful place.
PS.do you have any photos from the famous beach on Zakynthos?(the one with the ship wreck on it)

Kind regards
Krzysztof

Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 PM
TE Expert

Default To SnapRJW: Umbria.....

Hi Rosemary,

Thank you again for your kind words!

Yes, we loved this area! We were there two summers ago, spending a week by ourselves at this agriturismo after we had attended a wedding nearer to Rome. The countryside is stunning and most mornings I just left our apartment, went up the hill behind us and went walking throught the vineyards which belonged to the people who owned the agriturismo. Then later we would go to the old town of Amelia, just about 7 or 8 Km away and wander through the ancient streets there and grab a bite to eat. Wonderful!

I really wish we had had more time here because I would have liked to have explored more places. And, of course, our friend Silvio lives in Spoleto which is only about 45 distant northeast from here - I would love to have met up with him but, as I say, we were stuck for time.

I really hope that you have a great time there in May. How long are you going for and where are you planning to stay? Have you a mind to meet up with any TE friends?

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:57 PM
TE Expert

Smile Eavesdropping

Sorry to eavesdrop you two.

I couldn't resist saying to you Rosemary, that May is a wonderful time to visit those famous Plains of Castelluccio in Umbria that feature so colourfully in Silvio's Gallery. Every May, he organises a Meeting, with many of the old and new TE'ers, so you might want to contact him to catch up. Plus he's adorability in action!

Have a Happy Saturday
Lisa
Old 03-01-2014, 03:16 PM
TE Expert

Default Umbria, Heaven and Silvio.....

Ciao cara Lisa,

Yes, I quite agree - this place is God's country. I really wish we could have had the time to travel to Spoleto and, even better, have also managed to meet up with Silvio. But unfortunately we didn't really have the time. Just the perfect reason, of course, to make sure that it's not all that long before we return!

I hope Rosemary has a wonderful time there this May!

Un abbraccio,

Giovanni.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:22 AM
TE Expert

Wink Better Late Than Never

Hello John (and Lisa)

I am such a numpty having completely forgotten to answer your post John. Pls forgive my old timers brain

We will have 3 weeks in Italy and I have organised for us to visit Florence, Cinque Terre, Lucca, San Quirico d'Orcia, Colvalenza, Norcia and Gubbio. We will take a slow trip around Tuscany and Umbria traveling by train and hire car.

We will definitely meet up with Carlo in Lucca who has been a real help in guiding me in the planning of our trip. If Valter is around we will meet up with him. I have nothing pinned down wrt Silvio but hope to see him in his beautiful Norcia.

I have had great fun putting together this trip and have to confess that it reflects my photographic and food interests! Poor Allan has to drive and is *hittin* himself at the thought of navigating around Italy on the wrong side of the road I bought him a Garmin for Christmas.... now I need to learn to use it

I've never been to Italy and this trip is very much inspired by you Lisa and other TE member's pics.

Have a great Sunday.

Rosemary
Old 03-02-2014, 01:06 PM
TE Expert

Default Driving in Italy........

Hello Rosemary,

First of all, I think that you have done absolutely the right thing in buying that Garmin "satnav" device - it will definitely prove its weight in gold. When we were in Italy (sans "satnav") we ended up with dreadful problems trying to get back to the airport for our flight home and we very nearly missed the 'plane. Road signs are very confusing: in fact, I found that every time I came to a T-junction the signs pointed "Rome" in both directions - not helpful at all. I suppose they do say that all roads lead to Rome. And at one point on that journey we were bowling along the motorway heading north to Florence instead of south to Rome. Stupid me - I'd forgotten that the Italians call Florence "Firenz". That journey was a nightmare.

Now I do have a "satnav" and we took it to Portugal last year (having bought Europe maps for it) and it really was a godsend.

I don't think that Allan should be too upset about the thought of driving in Italy. Everyone talks about how aggressive the Italian drivers are but I certainly didn't find that - they were every bit as courteous as people here in Britain and probably more so.

Driving on the "wrong" side of the road does take a bit of getting used to and I found that I just couldn't relax at all while driving - you really have to keep your wits about you at all times. You need to remember that you are sitting at the left side of the car and so have to give a lot of space on your right and not so much on your left because of that - I've smashed a hubcap against a kerb on a hire car once and a friend of mine once took the side mirror off a parked police car when driving in Europe!

In fact, the thing which I found most difficult to get used to was looking in the rear-view mirror - I always tended to look upwards to the left but then all you see is the sky! Gears are easy to get used to but one time when Yvonne was driving, she went to pull up the handbrake and ended up lying flat on her back because she'd pulled the lever to let down the back of the seat.

So, after a little bit of practice and with his Garmin, Allan will be just fine! Just drive slowly, take your time (the Italians certainly know how to overtake) and breathe in the beauty of Italy! And enjoy meeting up with your TE friends there too. Silvio, by the way, lives in Spoleto.

Have a lovely trip!

Best Wishes,

John.