Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2021-09-08 2:19

Hello Mariusz,
I immediately recognized the special church tower with a distant memory that you can go up too. Or did I climb another tower ...
I'm somewhat surprised that this town is not on the well-trodden path of tourists as I visited it during my only trip to Poland.
Toruń is located about halfway between the two large very interesting cities Gdańsk and Warsaw and therefore not difficult to reach. My memory also goes out to a very pleasant city.
For you Toruń may be the second most beautiful town of your home country. So which city do you consider as the most beautiful one?
Good composition and great view of the lovely square where the tower with its beautiful windows and a double roof takes center stage.
Nice combination of a lot of red from the bricks and the roofs and the blue parts in the sky.
Best regards, Paul

Old 09-08-2021, 10:59 AM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: Krakow

Hi Paul,
there is no doubt that Krakow is the most beautiful city in Poland.
Kind regards,
M
Old 09-08-2021, 02:21 PM
TE Expert

Thanks Mariusz,

It is Krakow that made me decide to take a trip to Poland. But already from the preparation I learned your country has many other beautiful cities.

Kind regards,
Paul
Old 09-08-2021, 03:24 PM
TE Expert

Yes that is right.
Krakow was the Polish capital most of the time especially in the time when Poland was most prosperous. In fact the capital was never officially moved to Warsaw so people from Krakow still call it The Royal Capital City of Krakow (Stołeczne Królewskie Miasto Kraków). I bought this year a T-shirt which says that
Here is a table showing the former capitals of Poland:
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolic...hronologicznie

The fact that it was a capital matters more than in the case of for example Germany. Germany was most of its history a conglomerate of small kingdoms hence the power was quite distributed between regions while Poland was a large kingdom with a central city for long period of time. It is a bit like in England: there are not many cities here which could rival London.
Relatively shortly before Poland lost its independence a king decided to move to Warsaw.
Of course on top of that Warsaw was completely destroyed by Germans against all international conventions, two times during the WWII, while Krakow was preserved, it was just thoroughly robbed by Germans and Russians.
There are many beautiful towns in Poland but none of them have in addition to old town also a huge Royal Castle.
Also when I followed international guidebooks to Krakow, they don't even mention half of the interesting places. Usually guidebooks to Poland focus on UNESCO world heritage sites, major attractions etc but there are a lot of amazing places off the beaten track known only to locals. I am sure about it in the case of Krakow because I lived there for 5 years.
M
Old 09-10-2021, 01:10 PM
TE Expert

Thanks Mariusz,

Malgo has already shown photos of Płock.
I admit I had never heard of that city before.

Nor have I heard of Gniezno. But it has been a long time since it was the capital of Poland.

Kind regards,
Paul