Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-01-2004, 03:10 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Interesting Things in Your Camera Bag.

In a thread about one of his photos, David Sidwell mentioned he often carries black cloth in his bag to use as a background if need be. Personally, I carry a rust colored sarong, usually to diffuse light, although it can be used as somewhat of prop as well. I also have a small Maglight, which can sometimes give just enough light to brighten up eyes as well. I remember Philip Coggan saying he sometimes carries candles to use as a prop, as well as a red baseball cap and a black t-shirt.

I guess I am wondering what other things people have in their bags that they use for photography, but were originally not designed for such purposes. I think any ideas could be very useful, so long as you don't mind divulging your trade secrets.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:05 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Interesting Things in Your Camera Bag.

I also carry around a bean-stuffed animal to use when I need a "tripod" close to the ground. It's very stable and easy to use.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:51 PM
TE Junior Member

I have a kid white semi-transparent rain coat that I use to protect the camera from the forces of nature. It also doubles as a diffuser and in worst case cover when I have to drag myself on dirty floor.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:39 AM
TE Expert

Candies, Gula-gula or whatever you call them. They're a reward and thanks for kids who agree being taken in photo. But I've also noticed that elder pêople or boatmen like them very much...

Sometimes (unfortunatley not for very long) school pens (same use as previous).

And a pocket dictionnary when I have time to learn a few words before visiting the country. The first sentences I learn are 1-"may i take your picture? / thanks", 2-"My name is .../what's your name?" 3- "one daughter 9 years old/How many children do you have?" (the latter being one of the first questions you will be asked if you travel with a child like I do. You're then expected to answer and return the same question.)
Old 02-02-2004, 01:33 AM
TE Newbie

David,
Would it too much be to ask you that to photograph your "bean-stuffed animal"? I find the interesting idea. Thank you!

David,
Serait-ce trop vous demander que de photographier votre "bean-stuffed animal"? Je trouve l'idée intéressante. Merci!
Old 02-02-2004, 01:53 AM
TE Senior Member

I forgot about candies and pens. Actually, I also carry arround small pins of the Canadian flag for the kids as well. If you are a Canadian, you can contact your MP and they will generally give you a decent number of these to distribute while you are travelling. The kids really seem to love them. I can actually remember becoming frightened at one point last year in Angkor. So many kids seemed to come out of the woodwork for the pens, I was affraid my camera equipment would be damaged(maybe me too). I felt like Elvis ;)
Old 02-03-2004, 11:19 PM

Default Recapitulating...

Bonjour à tous,

Recapitulating... An ideal camera bag countains:

Black cloth or a colored sarong, a small Maglight, candles, a red baseball cap, a black t-shirt, white semi-transparent rain coat, Candies & Gula-gula, school pens, a pocket dictionnary, small pins of your country's flag, and last but not least a bean-stuffed animal... (Which animal David? I have a lovely moose, could it work as well? :o)

A pocket dictionary is very handy, always.
Last year an Internet friend created a program that prints out cards in one of several languages asking: "Can I take your Picture"
and then giving your name and web homepage and email address like this:

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"MAY I TAKE A PHOTO?

Hello, I am FIRST NAME.
Do you mind if I take a picture? You may view the picture later at the website shown below.
Thank you.

[email protected] - http://www.trekearth.com/members/YOUR*TE*NAME/"
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

So many ideas... Thank you!I hope there will be other suggestions coming.

Amicalement - Viviane
Old 02-04-2004, 12:19 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Recapitulating...

ROLF, Merci Viviane, you just made my day.

Thien
Old 02-04-2004, 03:36 PM

Default Keep sending suggestions. Keep smiling...

Bonjour Thien,

I'm very glad if I made you smile, I hope some more people will...
I like "gentle fun" on forums even if I can't find a right word for it.
Just read Philip's "Fairy tale posting" and he made my day. How could we feel better? :o)))

Amitiés - Viviane
Old 02-05-2004, 01:21 AM
TE Newbie

Maybe not as creative as the other suggestions here, but I always carry a mini flexible tripod. Do you know the type? Usually black with three flexible legs, and it's invaluable for shots where you need stability but have no space for a full size tripod. Or in situations where flat surfaces are hard to come by.
For example, I used one to take this photo because it was too windy to use a full size and the only place I could perch was sloping.
Very cheap, very small and light, and I never leave home without it!