Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great jimkil 2010-11-29 0:45

Hello Peter
I love that retouched sky you put in there, how did you get that to work so fine, love the story, I recently dabbled in tis type of photography also, in return for help with a new picket fence because I am so lame at DIY. I got these clouds also, and I saturated the bejesus out of it, but that's what the brochures look like - he was happy and my picket fence is nearly done so I hope she gives you at least 10% of the price because that is diamond view . Is the zoo around this side of Sydney because when I was there it looks like the same kind of vantage point. NZ sent you some clouds these day, looks like cotton mate. Wonderful colours and the orange rooftops were right to stay in.
Jim

Old 12-13-2010, 05:07 AM
TE Senior Member

Default To jimkil: Retouched Sky

Hi Jim,
So sorry for the belated reply, no excuses really, I'm just turning into an old slacker.
You know there isn't much work on the shot at all. I process everything through Lightroom 3. I use the pull down grad, correction brush and tilt control quite a lot. I find if I export directly out of Lightroom the quality of the shot is much better than going through Photoshop, particularly if you are going to the compressed size needed for TE.
For this shot I exported as a TIFF file so I could hand it to the printer. On my Nikon D90 the RAW file is around 12 megs, with corrections, sharpening and tilt adjustment the Tiff files are usually around 70 meg, so you do use up quite a lot of disk space.

With regard to the sky, I used a pull down grad with a 50% feather, across the entire top half of the frame, I finished the horizontal grad just below the buildings, and then dropped the exposure by .60 of a stop, I then ran a large correction brush with 60% feather across the clouds and buildings, here I increased the contrast and dropped the exposure by .25 of a stop, I also re sharpened just the buildings with another correction brush over the top of the large brush I used for the clouds and the buildings.
There are a couple of other areas I used the correction brush to selectively alter the exposure, like the building roofs in the foreground and the water.

Apart from that I let the pola filter take care of the sky with regard to blue saturation.

Hope all that makes sense.
Great to hear from you, looks like you are posting as infrequently as your truly lately.
Best wishes.
Pete