Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great ben4321 2007-02-10 6:20

I know I go on about this kind of thing a lot, but this is the kind of shot that would be a lot harder, if not impossible to take with digital. You would either have had to mess around with a strong ND grad filter or combine two images in photoshop, one exposed for the fighlights and one for the shadows.
Neither approach is really ideal when you just want to go out and take a few fun shots, and with film you can do that; get the shot with a lot less fuss.
This has worked really well, and although I wouldn't usually recommend using such a small aperture (most lenses are at their best at f8 or f11), I like how it has given that starburst effect to the sun.
Shooting into the light has also brought out the texture in the snow nicely.
My only (small) criticism is that I would have preferred it if you had included the top of the tree.
Good work Tomi, I like it.

Cheers,
Ben

Old 02-10-2007, 03:59 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To ben4321: Hi!

Thank you for your wonderful critique! Yes, you're right about the film, especially the B/W... I really enjoy it! And with a little luck you can take better photos as with digital. Sh.. I really like it... but I must calm down because of spending too much for films and processing ;))
Hey, maybe you can help me for one other thing that you've mentioned. Do you use Cokin ND grad filters? I use this semi economical "P" system and I ussually use a 121M ND4. I have two of them and try co combine one over another, but it don't work pretty good (I have a holder just for one because of the wide angle lenses and the second I used to hold in my hand... ... no comment, please...), so today I just wanted to change one for a ND8... but there is a total mess in a Cokin's catalogue... 121S, 121F, 121, 121G2... and each of them is ND8... The one I have (121M ND4) is a 2 f stops down and I want something that is stronger... can you help me?
Tomi
Old 02-10-2007, 04:17 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To ben4321: Hi!

I use 100mm Lee filters, the Cokin P ones are too small to use with my wide-angle lenses such as my 20mm (on film) and the 10-20mm (on digital). I've tried them in the past and ended up with horrible vignetting. I'm afraid I can't really help you with your Cokin question, but I imagine that if ND4 is 2 stops then the ND8 will be three stops. I imagine any of them will work OK.
The Lee Filters cost more than the Cokin ones, but are generally regarded as being the best on the market. After all, why use good lenses then put a cheapo filter in front of them?
My limited budget has only stretched to one 0.6 ND grad (2 stop) so far, so I haven't tried combining more than one filter yet. When I get a few spare pennies I'll be adding the 1 and 3 stop filters to my kit.
There's nothing wrong with holding the filter in your hand, I do it all the time! It's a lot quicker than messing around with the filter holder and reduces the complaints from my girlfriend when she has to wait while I take ANOTHER photo.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 02-13-2007, 12:41 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To ben4321: Hi!

Uppps! Sorry! You made such a rapid answer but I didn't noticed it before. I'm really sorry.
Yes, I've heard about the Lee filters but couldn't find them here and now I'm just too deep into Cokin system... but thanks god they're cheaper (about 30 euros / piece), because this summer I've totally ruined 2 of them ;((
Thank you for your answer, I'll try with this ND8 and we will see.

Byby
Tomi