Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2016-01-19 0:18

Hello Gunnar,

Nice to see you posting more photographs on TE! In fact, I think I saw this image on your Facebook page a day or two ago though I must admit that I'm never very active on Facebook.

Curiously, I've just tried to write this critique on the "new" version of TE and, for some technical problem which I don't understand, I find I am unable to do so. I wonder if they will ever manage to resolve the technical problems of this website? And here, on "beta" TE, your image is rather large to examine properly as it fills my screen twice over.

Anyway, technical problems aside, this is a lovely photograph with some delightful and strong contrasts afforded by the bright, low angled late afternoon sunlight. Without the people this photograph would have been far less interesting but the elderly man with his walking stick holds the composition together perfectly and is perfectly placed in the frame.

Glorious light and colours, perfect exposure and exquisite details and sharpness.

Excellent!

Kind Regards,

John.

P.S. I see that you have a new camera - the Canon EOS M3. I have one of the original EOS M cameras which I use when I go on walks as it's much lighter to carry than my heavy SLR. I like mine though its focusing is quite slow - I believe they have improved that with the new version. I also miss a viewfinder though I believe that you can get a viewfinder for the M3 - do you have one and do you like your new camera?

Old 01-19-2016, 04:17 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To tyro: Thanks John,

I really like my new camera. We paid a visit to Frank "Buin" Kaiser in Siegen in September. He had the M model and I liked it and bought one. I still only use the standard lens, 18-55 mm, but will buy some alternative soon. I don´t miss a viewfinder and the focusing speed. What alternative lenses do you recommend?
Best regards
Gunnar
Old 01-20-2016, 09:37 AM
TE Expert

Default Eos m/eos m3

Hi Gunnar,

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I really like my little EOS M too. Interestingly, I met a girl, Jasmine (tigerlily) Wang, at a TE meeting in England a couple of years ago. She has a big Canon 5D MarkIII but had also bought an EOS M for its lightness when travelling. She told me about it and so I bought one too. The thing was that the original EOS M came out here in 2012 and was expensive at nearly £800. Unfortunately, very few people bought them and people became aware of their slow focusing and other problems. But both Jasmine and myself were able to pick up ours new at a superstore for just less than £200.

Much more recently the M3 version (which you have) has arrived and it appears a much better and faster camera than mine. I use mine for taking on my weekly country walks and it's ideal for that. As I mainly take landscape views on these walks, it doesn't matter that the focusing is slow. But the lack of a viewfinder is very annoying in bright sunshine when I find it almost impossible to see the screen on the back.

One fabulous feature which Jasmine told me about is the "Hand-held night" feature - you can access that by scrolling through the menus on the screen on the back - it will take very reasonable pictures in very low light hand-held - it appears to take four rapid shots then processes them to produce a single JPEG image (not RAW) but the results are excellent. Try it in a dimly lit room and you'll be surprised!

I just have the standard 18 - 55mm lens and I think it's good. Image quality is very good too for this size of camera. I haven't bought any other lenses for it but I did buy the "M to ES" adaptor which allows me to fit any Canon lens to it (I have some ES lenses for my canon DSLR). I've read that the very compact fixed length 22mm "pancake" M lens is supposed to be very good.

Enjoy your new camera!

Kind Regards,

John.